• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is still viewing through Victory HT 42s? (1 Viewer)

I'm not a collector at all, but this is certainly a reason why I'll never let go of mine. The quality of the view would be the other reason.
I don't collect either and I'm not on the hunt for the next best thing. Of the bins I have, the 8x42 HTs and 8x32 Conquest HDs are the two rest of my life bins. Some of the others are pretty good too but this pair is a do it all for my needs. The HTs are phenomenal for astronomy.

I just love the sheer brightness of these HTs both in dreary dark conditions and from memory on sunny days too. I am looking forward to comparing again with FL 7x42 to see if it is right that the rendering of reds and pinks is improved in the HT, courtesy of the Schott glass.

I traded somebody local to me for an unused 10x42 HT and am quite happy with it. The colors are near identical to my 7x42 FL (pre lotutec) and are very true to life yet nicely saturated. White is white. These things really are bright and sharp that is for sure!

Not the ones I tested. The 8x42 HT was essentially optically identical to the 8x42 FL (same glass elements, same aberrations both on and off-axis, same distortion profile.) There was a small increase in brightness and change in color bias, presumably from the HT glass and a modest increase in glare resistance from baffling changes. See below.

I heard also this but I think it was about FL discontinued not HT model. Because Conquest light transmission curve is very similar (if not the very same) to curve light transmission of the FL. Instead, HT light transmission is totally different in a good way, as you say!

I am very curious about further hands-on, direct comparisons between the 8x42 HT and the 7x42 FL. (Was discussed a little bit before in another thread too.) Opinions seem to differ a bit. Probably a reason for me to try the HT out myself, but the only way to do that seems to be buying it... Not really a cheap test. :)
(I have an FL 7x42, Lotutec, from 2007 or 2008 (I forgot) which I like, especially on low light or woods. Thus no upgrade or sidegrade really needed, but still curious. :) )

Greetings. I doubt very much that a Leica fanboy can add anything to the erudite Zeissers here. The Zeiss Victory HT 8x42 is a very capable pair of binoculars that offers a pleasant and bright view very much comparable to the UV7x42 HD+. There are minor/de minims differences in color temperature, contrast, and handling familiarity in favor of the Leica which I easily ignore to enjoy what the Victory HT can competently and comfortably offer; the amazingly clear 3D view in short and medium distances is worthy of a special mention. The Zeiss’ HT focusing mechanism is fine, however, it is not as micro-tuned as the ones observed in either the Ultravid or the Noctivid. The Zeiss Victory HT 8x42 is a keeper for the time being. Enjoy in good health.

Hi mbb,

Though I have the 7x FL and the 8x HT I find it hard to make a reliable comparison point for point, since to me there is a noticeable difference between those two magnification amounts and that affects my overall impression. This is the reason why, now I have my hands on an HT again, I no longer feel I should only keep one of these two. However similar they may be in some ways, the difference in magnification is why I now plan on keeping both. All I can offer is that I am very glad to have an HT to use once more. I can say that this second time round I am even more convinced that the HT's colour rendering is better than the FL's with red / orange / pink colours, whereas I remember thinking before that was really the only source of slight disappointment with the FL. Not sure what you can make of these comments for your practical purposes, however. And of course your findings will be different if you have both items and one is not adjusted quite right or is a poor sample. From comments I have received over the last few years from Canip and others I am however convinced that both the 7x42 FL and the 8x42 HT are right up at the top for birding among those who are happy with all the usual personal 'fitting' aspects such as eyecups, position of focuser, susceptibility to CA, need for outer zone sharpness, etc.

In this day and age of overwhelmingly predominant SP prism binoculars you might be pleased to have an FL and an HT as fine survivors from the AK age... 'just sayin'' And on the subject of AK prisms, the predecessor of both, the Dialyt 7x42, gives a really easy view and is beautifully well balanced...

Last edited:
Greetings, dear community! I have owned 8x42 HT for many years now. In my opinion, this binoculars gives me everything I could want from such an optical device. Perfect color reproduction, exceptional sharpness in a significant area, excellent ergonomics and the highest quality of workmanship and materials. I regret that ZEISS actually buried this line of binoculars. I have a few more high-end binoculars, but all my friends who I give them to look at will definitely note the amazing view that they are given by HT.

Very excited today to have sourced an unsold shop demo Zeiss Victory HT 8x42, bearing in mind that the model was discontinued c.2019 and renewing my acquaintance with it since last using Troubadour's copy in early 2021.

As it happens, this afternoon in Devon where I drove 250 miles to pick up the binoculars was extremely wet and heavily clouded — excellent conditions to test the high transmission AK prisms and Schott glass. The magic was there as the dioptre adjustment fell quickly into place — not always true for me — and there was that absolute focus snap and revelation looking out from and also at dense dark undercover. Though HTs don't have the survivor SFs' Ergo Balance concept (i.e. face end weighting for better handling balance) a forward grip on the objective end of the barrels seems pretty instinctive after past familiarity and that way the finger(s) fall readily on to the large focus wheel.

My only slight negative with this probably long unused example is that the wheel makes a slight clicking noise on direction changes but hopefully that will lessen with running in and if it persists or becomes irritating a trip to Gary at ECBR would always help.

I just love the sheer brightness of these HTs both in dreary dark conditions and from memory on sunny days too. I am looking forward to comparing again with FL 7x42 to see if it is right that the rendering of reds and pinks is improved in the HT, courtesy of the Schott glass.

Are there many of us left who are still using this last of the AK generation — last in x42 anyway?

By the way, I don't see QC failings in this bin, but please bear in mind it's only day 1 of possession after about 20 minutes of try out. We read of some problems sometimes with the x54s, but there was very little indeed to fuss about with the 8x42 I used before and the click on this one's focuser is really pretty minor. Eyecup adjustment feels if anything more positive than before. So far so good, in fact nearly ecstatic!

Tom
Fantastic glass!

I purchased my 10x42 Zeiss Victory HT new from Eagle Optics in 2013 and have loved them ever since.
I've never felt the need to switch to any other binoculars made by anyone else since and probably never will.

I purchased my 10x42 Zeiss Victory HT new from Eagle Optics in 2013 and have loved them ever since.
I've never felt the need to switch to any other binoculars made by anyone else since and probably never will.
I do miss Eagle Optics. Like Joni Mitchell sang all those years ago, "You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."

I still have and occasionally use a pair of 8x42 HT's. Use to own a pair or 7x42 FL's and 10x42 SF's too - both gone as I found the HT superior to my eyes (FL's were close though).

In fairness my SLC's are optically better than the HTs, but they all take a backseat to my 8x42 NL's.

Focus knob on my HT's is the absolute best I've ever used including the NL's although both have been perfectly smooth since day one.

Have an 8x42 HT here which had a defect at the focus wheel. Zeiss fixed it free of charge, eventhough they were past guarantee.
Best focus system in binocular world I guess. The only one that might be on par is the Noctivid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back