• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of britain and vagrents quiz (1 Viewer)

Hi Alan the wigeon was underneath the two gulls and there was a Canada goose on the island with its head down and one towards the top right of the image. I can assure you this is the case as I was scoping these birds.
As with the Dunlin, this very bird about 1 min later flew in front of the hide I was sitting in and It was clearly a dunlin although the black does look weird in this photo. But I can assure you that this was a dunlin. I had another observer with me who also said dunlin but he only saw it in the position it is on the island.

also bird in bottom right - extensive white in speculum??, is this is a gadwall not a wigeon? not sure now...
a

Oh sorry I completely didn't see this! Yes it is a Gadwall and I will amend the scores. There was still a wigeon though.
Sorry again and thanks for that spot!

Kent photo:

Yes to GWE, coot and GCG. I think the purple blur is identifiable as Purple Loosestrife.

Looks more like Stodmarsh to me

Essex photo

not convinced by the Dunlin (Starling)!

cheers, alan

http://www.rampantscotland.com/colour/supplement050827.htm

Scroll down for a picture of a black-bellied starling

http://www.backyardbirdcam.com/gallery/starling-juv-lg4.jpg

another one

http://www.naturephoto-cz.com/dunlin:calidris-alpina-photo-378.html

..and here for a lovely sp dunlin

To me the extensive (full) black belly contrasting with a grey/brown head plus the apparent short legs (!!) suggest a starling - in my interpretation, it is facing the camera; could be a rock though...!

cheers, a

Last edited:
great white egret, great crested grebe, coot, bonus species, perhaps a sand martin, location - buggered if I'd know.

Great White Egret, Coot , Great Crested Grebe Location i do not have a clue cant claim Stodmarsh i guess ;)

Bonus species i take a Diving Little Grebe

All of you got the correct species GWE, GCG and Coot.
But only Hotspur got the correct location Dungeness.
1st Dortmundbirder 18pts
1st Jos Stratford 18pts
2nd nickderry 17pts
2nd Parker 17pts
2nd lewis20126 17pts
3rd Phil Carter 16pts
4th Simmojunior 9pts
5th Hotspur 8pts
6th The Hairy Highlander 7pts
6th Marcus Conway-ebirder 7pts
Next photo will be harder to try and separate the leaderboard a bit!

What's the bonus species?

I might need to clear this point up to avoid further confusion.
The bonus species is not an extra species. For example in the 2nd quiz there were 3 species and one of these was a bonus species that was maybe more difficult to id. In this case it was the GWE (Bonus species as It gives you a bonus point). For future reference if three is 3 species in a photo there are only 3 species and the bonus species is one of them.
I will now change the name of the bonus species to Hard species to avoid confusion.(I will admit that bonus species was rubbish wording!)
Sorry for the confusion its completely my fault!

Next photo

Next photo (might be a bit harder)

4 species. (If you are positive that there is another please let me know)
1 Hard(used to be bonus) species.
Good luck
(Area was scoped before pic taken)

Attachments

• IMG_1931 copy.jpg
    IMG_1931 copy.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 123
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back