• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Iceland birds ID help (1 Viewer)

hi All
My final request for now, this time some photos from a trip to Iceland in 2018 (I don't recall the exact location, but all were taken somewhere in the 'Golden Circle').
My best guesses (please correct me if wrong):
1. Whooper Swan (adults & young) and pink footed geese
2. Golden Plover
3. Pipit?
4. Gulls - Black headed and ? larger gull on right of pic
5. Gull?
6. Duck?

Again, thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• One.JPG
    One.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 101
  • Two.JPG
    Two.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 102
  • Three.JPG
    Three.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 95
  • Four.JPG
    Four.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 88
  • Five.JPG
    Five.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 88
  • Six.JPG
    Six.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 98
Hello,

do you have more pictures of the first birds? I agree with you about the Whooper Swans, but I get a Greylag vibe (in all birds) here, despite the appearant small size (or is a White fronted Goose an option?) But I cant exclude PFG here, hence the request for more pictures.

Edit: is it possible to change into the WFG team here? I hope so!

Nr.3 is a Meadow Pipit

The Gull is either a (juvenile=1cy?) Lesser black backed Gull or a Herring Gull. Do you have more pictures? If forced I would opt for a LBBG, but I could throw a coin here. No offence you know

Nr. 5 shows an adult and a 2nd cycle Common Gull (and a first cycle Common Gull???). Please note the right shape with long and slender wings, nearly falcon like.

Hello,

do you have more pictures of the first birds? I agree with you about the Whooper Swans, but I get a Greylag vibe (in all birds) here, despite the appearant small size (or is a White fronted Goose an option?) But I cant exclude PFG here, hence the request for more pictures.

Edit: is it possible to change into the WFG team here? I hope so!

Nr.3 is a Meadow Pipit

The Gull is either a (juvenile=1cy?) Lesser black backed Gull or a Herring Gull. Do you have more pictures? If forced I would opt for a LBBG, but I could throw a coin here. No offence you know

Nr. 5 shows an adult and a 2nd cycle Common Gull (and a first cycle Common Gull???). Please note the right shape with long and slender wings, nearly falcon like.
I would also suggest Greylag as the bills look pretty large & structurally better for this species.

Hello,

yes, fair points Ken.

But I still agree with Mounteden and Butty: its Golden Plover by
  • the right shape of the body and small head, resulting in a pear shaped bird=enhancing the impression of an upright stance (Grey Plover seems to have a more horizontal posture)
  • most important: the OP got a GP vibe in the field. You know, I trust observers ID more than low resolution pictures
  • I think I can just make out an indication of darkish earcoverts set off against a paler supercilium in a good pattern for GP (yes wishful thinking at its best)
  • colouration/paleness of the belly is although not 100% perfect, easy within variation for GP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back