• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED82A v. Swarovski ATS65HD (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I recently converted to Nikon ED on the basis of having bought the 50mm version and being gobsmacked. I´ve had the Swaro 65HD for about 4 years now and love it, and their customer service is top-class. However...having just bought, in a moment of fiscal recklessness, a Nikon ED82A, and compared both, I´ve got to support all the wonderful things that have been written here about it.
I know I´m not comparing like with like, the Swaro 65 is a compact scope and superb, but the Nikon is a tad shorter and weighs in at only 350 grams more. The Swaro therefore hasn't got a considerable weight advantage given that you've got to carry a tripod anyway.
Both have central focussing rings, which I like.
The metal parts of the Nikon are an odd vile greenish colour, like hospital wards used often be painted in the seventies (at least here). The Swaro is a more elegant-looking piece of kit, very tactile, entirely rubber-armoured, and sleek.
I find the Swaro view a bit less vibrant and 'colder', as some people have commented (although to be honest I think it´s more faithful to reality, i.e. the Nikon seems to enhance images).
The Nikon, although slightly clumsier in body-design and with rubber-armouring on only part of the body, gives a superb view. I won´t reiterate all that´s been said more elegantly and technically by others, but if you´re in the market for a scope, note that it costs only 1300 euro or thereabouts, considerably less than any other top-ender.
The ED82A body and eyepieces are made in Japan (the ED50 body I have is made in China, but still superb).
The Swaro's eye-relief is greater, worth considering if you wear specs while scoping.
The Nikon zoom FOV is very tight, and at max magnification (75x) the focus is just a bit too fine and fiddly, but if you pull back just a tad it´s grand. I find the zoom bright and usable, even in bad light, up to 65x or so. The Swaro 65 zoom I find less so, obviously with less aperture it loses light faster as you zoom in, but it's still fine to my eye up to about 50x. The Swaro zoom also gives considerably more FOV, about 20% more at low mag, I think.
The locking nut for changing the lateral angle of the scope is much easier to use on the Nikon.
The Nikon's viewfinder line is a groove on the body, on the Swaro it´s a detachable piece of plastic that doesn´t aim exactly as the scope does.
Any shortcomings in the Nikon's body design or FOV on the zoom are made up for (at least to my eye) by the Nikon ED view, which is IMHO unbeatable. And the 30xw eyepiece is incredible (although the Swaro 30x sw is also superb, almost the equal, on the 65mm scope, to the Nikon's 30x on the 82mm scope).
Note, however, that the Nikon guarantee is 10 years, compared to the Swaro´s 30 years, and I know nothing of Nikon´s aftersales. Swaro aftersales in my experience has been top-class.
Note also that there are two sets of lenses made by Nikon for the ED range, the "DS" and the "MC". I prefer the MC because it has retractable eyecups, but the DS is specifically for digiscoping and has a detachable rubber eyecup that isn't really adjustable when on the scope. If digiscoping is your thing, the DS might be for you, but note that the MC can be used for digiscoping also.
I hope this is of use to anyone looking at top-end scopes that weigh under 1.9 kilos. I don´t mean to knock the Swaro, in fact although buying the Nikon has left me broke, I´m loathe to part with the Swaro and am trying (unsuccessfully) to justify keeping two larger scopes, and both are excellent. But the Nikon really should be checked out if a good scope is on your wish-list, given that a lot of people like the Nikon image, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Swissboy said:
Sancho, a very fine analysis! I can only agree with what you say.
Thanks for that, Robert. I checked today and the FOV on the Swaro 65 with 30xsw is the same as that on the Nikon ED82A with 30x wide. (Also, 30x on a Swaro eyepiece means 30x, regardless of scope aperture). I had both scopes down at Dublin Bay, and the weather was dull, overcast, and drizzly. In fairness to the Swaro 65, it represented the light conditions faithfully: if it seemed cold and lifeless, it´s because the real view was cold and lifeless. The Nikon was warmer, and I think it had a very faint hint of a yellow cast in the dull conditions. That said, I still prefer the Nikon view, I found it crisper and more contrasty. (Caveat: that´s my optic nerve talking there... someone else´s might be different!)

Super review, Sancho - thanks. Put side by side, I, too, prefer the Nikon to the Swaro in terms of hue. I would say the Nikon veers slightly towards warm-red and the Swaro slightly towards cold-blue. In everyday use, such small effects aren't noticeable and both scopes provide punchy "3D" walk-in images that are sharp to the edge.

Dear Mr. Sancho,

I am pretty new to BF and I have done my few postings to the camera forum (gotta buy me wife something after all I"ve spent on me!). But it has been the forum of the spotting scopes which landed me here in the first place. Your excellent analysis I am reading is a reminder why.

I am in the market for my first scope and I have been trying to figure out whether I should spend over twice as much for a Swaro when the Nikon ED82 is viewed so favorably (no pun intended). I have chosen the Nikon and now I just have to save for it.

I'm thinking to go with the angled for many reasons, but I'm wondering if anybody has ever noticed a quality decline because of it? I'm also wondering if it is a real bummer to not have zoom on your first scope. I really want the wide FOV that the 30x offers. I will be using it mostly for animal observation and some birding.

Hi - welcome to BF! I believe that there is no difference between the straight and angled scopes these days because both utilise similar prisms and mirrors, etc. in order to correct the image.

Have no fears whatsoever about buying the Nikon. It's an excellent scope and at the price is something of a bargain. Its build and optical quality equal the best available. I don't know what price the Zeiss 85 is in the US, but that scope, with its 20-60x Vario zoom, is also very fine. The Zeiss zoom is famous for its extra wide field of view.

Justin USA said:
.. I'm also wondering if it is a real bummer to not have zoom on your first scope. I really want the wide FOV that the 30x offers. I will be using it mostly for animal observation and some birding.

Hello Justin, don't worry about the zoom. My brother, who is an even more avid birder than myself usually has his 30xW eyepiece on instead of the zoom which he also owns. It's only for those distant shorebirds that he really uses the zoom. I for myself, prefer the flexibility of the zoom, but I am also very happy with my 30xW on my Nikon EDIII. No "bummer" whatsoever! That wide FOV is definitely a very important plus!

Sancho

thanks for your review. It always nice to read that I made the right decision. I just want to add that the ED82A costs quite a bit less in the Netherlands. It can be bought for 969 euros. See link http://www.kamera-express.nl/index.php?page=showproduct&product=3719

This makes it an even better buy.

Justin

Don't worry about using the scope without the zoom e.p. . I had my scope for about 1 year with "just" the 30xDS. Although I like the zoom e.p. I would pick the 30xDS if I could only have one. If I remember well I even read one member (AVAN??) selling his zoom because the 30XDS never leaves his scope.

Cheers Peter

Justin

I'm with Steve and Robert and Peter, the x30 eyepiece is ideal I'm relly impressed by it. I tried a lot of scopes before deciding on the Nikon ED82. You get a much clearer image with a fixed eyepiece. If you get the chance try it out with the fixed and then the zoom on same magnification to see what you prefer.

John

Peewee said:
Sancho

thanks for your review. It always nice to read that I made the right decision. I just want to add that the ED82A costs quite a bit less in the Netherlands. It can be bought for 969 euros.
Thanks for that, Peewee! It´s amazing, the extent of the "rip-off" in Ireland. The only reputable Scope dealer in Dublin is charging 1,370 for the ED82A Nikon body only. I got it from Warehouse Express in the UK for 1,080, including delivery. (Consider such things carefully, anyone who´s thinking of spending hard-earned cash on a holdiay to Ireland). Did you get the ED82A with an eyepiece included for just 969 euro? I think it´s time to move wife, kids and scopes to the Netherlands forthwith ;) ! And yes, I agree that you made the right choice, I had the Nikon out again today and loved it. To be honest, it was lunacy to buy it when I already had the Swaro 65HD, the difference is not that great, as Scampo says it´s a question of hues and both are superb scopes. With the fixed 30x wide eyepieces, the Swaro is really (almost?) the equal of the Nikon in all but the poorest light. But I do use the zoom regularly as well (lots of marsh, estuary and seabirding to be done locally), and with the zoom I think the ED82A really comes into its own, despite narrow FOV. But if one doesn´t own a scope in the first place, it would be lunacy to buy the Swaro (sorry Mr. Swaro), because it costs nearly 1,000 euro more. My particular variety of lunacy (buying a great scope when you already have a great scope) is something I have to work on ;) . Happy birding with your Nikon!

Justin USA said:
Dear Mr. Sancho,

I am pretty new to BF and I have done my few postings to the camera forum (gotta buy me wife something after all I"ve spent on me!). But it has been the forum of the spotting scopes which landed me here in the first place. Your excellent analysis I am reading is a reminder why.

I am in the market for my first scope and I have been trying to figure out whether I should spend over twice as much for a Swaro when the Nikon ED82 is viewed so favorably (no pun intended). I have chosen the Nikon and now I just have to save for it.

I'm thinking to go with the angled for many reasons, but I'm wondering if anybody has ever noticed a quality decline because of it? I'm also wondering if it is a real bummer to not have zoom on your first scope. I really want the wide FOV that the 30x offers. I will be using it mostly for animal observation and some birding.
Welcome on board, Justin. I would recommend getting the angled Nikon. I used to have a straight Nikon RAIII, a long time ago. For large scopes, angled is a lot easier on the neck and the back. It also means you don´t have to adjust the height to exactly the level of your eye, and it´s much easier to share views with companions, as long as they don´t differ vastly from you in height. I don´t think there´s any trade-off in brightness compared to a straight scope, not with quality kit. I prefer straight-through on compact scopes, though, because I use mine mostly hand-held, and find it easier to get onto the bird quickly by raising it to the eye as you would with binoculars. On the question of the eyepiece, if I were to buy only one, I´d get the 30x wide. It´s superb, and covers most situations. You can always treat yourself to a zoom next year, or better still, wait for Nikon to come out with a zoom that gives a bit more FOV for the price (if the Europeans can do it, I´m sure the Japanese will better it fairly shortly... ;) ). Best of luck with your purchase!

Justin USA said:
Dear Mr. Sancho,

The Nikon zoom is crystal clear from 25X-75X BUT its eye relief and FOV immediately diminish its optical attributes. How anyone who wears eyeglasses could effectively use this zoom is beyond my comprehension.

The angled ED82 with a 30X fixed eyepiece is pure enjoyment. If there's a better image, I'd like to see it!

John

John Traynor said:
The Nikon zoom is crystal clear from 25X-75X BUT its eye relief and FOV immediately diminish its optical attributes. How anyone who wears eyeglasses could effectively use this zoom is beyond my comprehension.

The angled ED82 with a 30X fixed eyepiece is pure enjoyment. If there's a better image, I'd like to see it!

John
My friend was using my Nikon ED50 yesterday with the zoom and wearing specs - he thought it was wonderful. Yet, I cannot enjoy using any zoom eyepiece wearing my glasses. Whilst it's true that the Nikon has a slightly shorter eye relief, even with a Zeiss or Swaro zoom I can see the full field only at 20x but not above that. I invariably find myself taking of my glasses before using a scope.

Sancho said:
Did you get the ED82A with an eyepiece included for just 969 euro? I think it´s time to move wife, kids and scopes to the Netherlands forthwith ;) !

Sancho

Although you are welcome I have to set something straight before you move to the Netherlands. The price mentioned is for the Scope only. I bought mine about 1 year ago for €829 in Germany because it was not available in the NL. See link.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=53512

Any way, still a lot cheaper than in Ireland.

Cheers Peter.

Peewee said:
Sancho

Although you are welcome I have to set something straight before you move to the Netherlands. The price mentioned is for the Scope only. .

Cheers Peter.
Wooops! I´ve just resigned, sold the house, and bought one-way tickets to Amsterdam! ;)

I know that this is an old thread but wanted to add my similar experience with the Nikon. I own the Zeiss 85mm with the 20-60 eyepiece, the nikon ED50 and the Swaro 65 HD. I agree with everything Sancho has said in the review. The Nikon view is simply breath taking with lots of contrast, punchy colors even if the colors are "enhanced". The view is so sharp and crisp that it has to be seen first hand. Words don't fully describe the wow factor.

It is a bit like the first time I tried Maui Jim sunglasses. The world just looks better through those sunglasses and I believe Nikon has done the same with their scopes.

Having said that, the FOV on the Zeiss is unparalleled. Unlike others, I do not find the edges to be soft. It just isn't in perfect focus like the center but is so close that it never appears soft to my eyes. Of course, you can fine tune the focus to bring the edges into crisp focus if you want but it will affect the center focus ever so slightly.

Knowing what I know now, I would not buy any scope without first looking through all of them, especially the Nikon. For the money here in the US, Nikon would be my top choice today. I saw a straight ED82 on sale for $969 a few weeks ago. I would have bought it except they didn't have any angled ED82 available. Good thing I didn't, it would have been my fourth scope and the wife is not happy.

Good post, Steve - agree with all you say re. the two scopes. If only Nikon would bring out a wider zoom, eh?

Steve,

If they do, I will be in trouble with the wife but well worth it! BTW, I have really enjoyed all your posts about the Zeiss. You are a big part of why I wound up with the scope and I'm loving every minute of it, except for the lens flare, which is the only fault I can find with the Zeiss.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back