• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen dimensions (1 Viewer)

rivergazer

I think it's been posted here piecemeal, but I haven't been able to find dimensions for Zen binoculars. The website shows weights, but dimensions are not there unless I missed it. I'm interested in the ED(2) and ZRS, and mostly for length. Width and height are what they are and not a concern. If anyone has this, or a link to it, it would be appreciated.

marty

The Zen EDs are right at 6.5 inches long. I do not believe the physical length has changed for the ED 2 version.

I don't have a ZRS on hand but I seem to remember them being right at Nikon Monarch length...about 5.6 or 5.7 inches.

The Zen EDs are right at 6.5 inches long. I do not believe the physical length has changed for the ED 2 version.

I don't have a ZRS on hand but I seem to remember them being right at Nikon Monarch length...about 5.6 or 5.7 inches.

OK, that's good enough for me Frank, though it seems the 7X ED2's would be shorter (?)

the ZRS 10x42 are the same length as the Celetron Regal LX 8/10x42, which makes them the same length as the Nikon Monarch 10x42 and the Bushnell Legend 8x42

edz

Last edited:
why are the Zen's so much heavier? almost a half pound heavier than the 10x42 monarch

I think the question really is "why are the Monarch's so much lighter than other 42mm bins?". They are remarkably light for a 42mm binocular.

Check out the weights of other similar bins and you'll see the Zen ED is 1oz heavier than the similar sized (but GRP bodied) 26oz Zeiss FL 42mm bins. The Leica Ultravid is 27.9oz. The Nikon EDG is 28.6oz. The Nikon Premier (the HG L rebadged) is 28 oz. And you can go down through mid range bins and see similar (and higher) weights. The only recent 42mm bin to come down to Monarch-like weights is the Bushnell Legend Ultra HD at 23oz (still heavier!).

I'm pretty sure it was one of the design goals for the bin as this sort of lightness doesn't come easily.

Part of the answer is they went for a plastic body (I presume glass reinforced composite). I'm not sure if there is a metal subframe in there or not. They might also have tried to minimize the weight of glass in the bin too (thinner lenses) as it is a significant part of the weight of a bin.

I suspect the weight is one of the reasons they become so popular. They were an interesting mixture: decent optics, decent price, decent warranty (now very good warranty) and very light too. I suspect this is one reason why a lot of good (rarity chasing) birders (I've met two recently) still bird with the Monarchs.

The Monarchs are only just a little heavier than the top four's compacts.

Last edited:
I have memories with the Monarchs. The Sporters before that were OK, but I got birds 100-200 with my Monarchs. Which may be in Chicago or England now. ;)

I recall reading that Nikon makes the Monarchs without lead in the glass, although they do not advertise them the way they do the Ecobins. In a full-size binocular the glass makes up a big percentage of the weight, so that may explain the Monarch's lighter weight.

why are the Zen's so much heavier? almost a half pound heavier than the 10x42 monarch

Removing lead from the glass doesn't change the glass density in any appreciable manner as you replace it with other materials that aren't quite as dense but the overall result is not far off.

"leaded" BK-7 Density (at 20 °C/68 °F): 2.51 g/cm 3
"unleaded" N-BK7 Density, 2.51

No difference.

For the short flints it can make a bit of a difference but it's impact on the weight of the bin is negligible.

See Fig 2.61 on p147 of The properties of optical glass by Hans Bach, Norbert Neuroth

It's in Google Books

http://books.google.com/books?id=J0...JxnkT5&dq=density of N-BK7 glass&pg=RA1-PA147

To answer my own question, and in case anyone else wants to know, I found out that the 7X36 ED2's are 5.8" long.

Thanks for posting this as I too wanted to know given that I've preordered a pair :)

I also found the remaining dimensional specs in another thread: 5.8 x 5 x 1.9

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back