• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mornin! (3 Viewers)

bdaabat

United States
Howdy all! Joined this forum to get more info on birding resources and info. I turned 60 last year and then retired from full time work, which, as you know, means that I now have to be interested in birds. :D

My wife got me a Birdfy feeder as a Christmas gift and it's been a hoot. We've taken a couple trips to the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Dorchester County, MD this month to see the winter migrating birds (snow geese, tundra swans, white pelicans, etc.) as well as the native birds. I'm hooked! I'm also clueless! I'd appreciate suggestions/help getting started.

1. Would appreciate suggestions for a quick start guide to bird ID. I've downloaded Merlin and a couple other apps to help use technology to ID birds. Am sure there are other tools/resources to help ID birds, I just don't know what they are.

2. Tools/gear: would appreciate suggestions for being able to better visualize birds at a distance AND to be able to photograph them (ideally without tooooooo major a financial hit!). We've invested in a step up pair of binoculars (at least for us...we started off several years ago with a pair of Vortex Vanquish, then opted for Vortex Viper HD last Christmas).

3. Suggestions for places to visit would be awesome as well!

Thank you in advance!

Bruce

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hopefully someone will be along to help soon.

Hi Bruce and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

1. Would appreciate suggestions for a quick start guide to bird ID. I've downloaded Merlin and a couple other apps to help use technology to ID birds. Am sure there are other tools/resources to help ID birds, I just don't know what they are.
I've a few ideas for you, which certainly helped me in my early days (those app didn't exist then, so all my knowledge has come from being on this forum.

1: What I did was to read the ID forum and study the pictures, then try to guess what it was before going on to read the comments. On top of that I'd also look at pictures in the Gallery and, again, try to identify them before looking at the titles.

2: We also have Opus, our own birding/wildlife encyclopaedia. This is a link to our Topography page in the Resources section: there you can learn about the different features of a bird. Then in the right hand pane, you'll find a link to the rest of The Opus with pages for all the birds of the world, just type in the name of a bird and you'll be taken there.

3: Alternatively, click on Locations and, perhaps, type in the name of your state, any birding site that we know of will be listed there.

Obviously the Opus is constantly evolving, so if you know of any location or word (that you can't find in our Dictionary), don't be afraid to ask in the Opus Discussion forum and we'll do our best to add it.

Hopefully this will help to give you a start. I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

PS Regarding your second post I'll move that to the Nikon Camera Forum, I don't think you'll have any bother finding it, as you should get notification if anyone replies, (which I'm sure they will).

Hi Bruce and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Along with what Delia said, I would buy a good bird ID book, Sibley’s Guide East would be a good starter, it is usually highly recommended. Another thing would be to find and contact your local Audubon Society. Not sure which one would serve Dorchester County. Local Audubon chapters will have guided walks and other educational programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back