• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bank Swallow (Sand Martin) or Brown-chested Martin, Venezuela (1 Viewer)

iainp

I think it's a brown-chested Martin, but I dare not stick it on my Life List till someone who knows what they are talking about can confirm ;)

Thanks,

Iain

Attachments

• Swallow or Martin.jpg
    Swallow or Martin.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Only know Brown-chested Martin from images I've googled, but the flanks appear brown which would seem to suggest that rather than Bank Swallow

Jan

Thanks Jan-Paul. Since that confirms what I thought, it's going on my Life List tonight unless anyone spoils things by disagreeing in the meantime ;-)

It doesn’t strike me as having the structure of a sand martin, but:
a) this is just a single photo – 2 secs later the bird might’ve looked quite different in posture, etc.;
b) it’s the work of seconds to google for photos of sand martins in flight showing more extensive dark on the flanks than your bird http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sa...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1023&bih=488 – so I don’t think I’d use that as a feature to tick it on.
Head/hindneck plumage pattern looks wrong for sand martin.
You choose! - or wait for someone who actually knows how to ID brown-chested martin ;-)

Can you remember seeing it? There's a pretty noticeable size difference, and you're unlikely to think a BCM is a Sand Martin in the field on that alone.

Using the birdforum gallery is usually safer than using google, because of the large proportion of mis-id on the web. (hint, entry through Opus usually ensures a good search specificity).

Looking there, it seems that brown-chested M has a dark central breast stripe which your bird seems to show and which SM rarely shows. I am therefore one more leaning BcM on this one.

Niels

Thanks all. Once again you've given me lots to think about....

Larry, re size: I can't remember. it was a year ago, and it was just the one shot unfortunately. Suddenly coming face to face with dozens of completely new species every day threw me so I spent all my time indiscriminately photographing everything that moved. In retrospect, a mistake....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back