• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello, with a historical mystery (1 Viewer)

Squonk

Major dude
Hello everyone.

Looking back at an old journal I see that, apparently, I had a Citrine Wagtail pointed out to me on Holy Island in October 1982. Until I came across this I'd forgotten I'd ever seen one - and I'm still not convinced. Does anyone know anything about this bird? Was it accepted? Did you see it? I'd be interested in any information or reminiscences.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there aophobe and a warm welcome to you from the staff here at BirdForum.net.

Can't help you out with your question but I see our resident expert is on board so you should have an answer shortly. ;)

Hi Aophobe,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Yes, there was a Citrine Wag on Holy Island, 9-10 October 1982, accepted by BBRC.

I couldn't get up to see it . . . still never seen one :storm:

Michael

Thanks to both of you! Michael that was fast - did you just have that in your head or do you have some comprehensive work of reference to hand? In either case I'm impressed. I was not expecting to get any answers for a couple of days.

So I did see a Citrine Wagtail! I wonder, how frequently do these occur now in the UK? Are they one of those species that used to be very rare (as I seem to remember was the case in 1982) but are now pretty much annual?

Hi Aophobe,

Had to look it up, but I've got the Northumbs data all readily to hand on the shelves next to the computer.

Citrine Wag averages about 5 or 6 records per year, but with a large majority in Shetland & Scilly, it isn't at all an easy bird to catch up with on mainland Britain.

There's five Northumbs records:
Holy I. 28-30 Sep 1967
Holy I. 9-10 Oct 1982
Farnes 11-12 Sep 1989
Hauxley 15-16 May 1991
Farnes 2 Oct 2003 (not yet accepted, but likely to be)

A lot of the difficulty of getting one is that they never seem to stay long.

Michael

aophobe said:
Thanks to both of you! Michael that was fast - did you just have that in your head or do you have some comprehensive work of reference to hand? In either case I'm impressed. I was not expecting to get any answers for a couple of days.

So I did see a Citrine Wagtail! I wonder, how frequently do these occur now in the UK? Are they one of those species that used to be very rare (as I seem to remember was the case in 1982) but are now pretty much annual?

Get the newbook birds of Anglesey - a superb reference (hard back £50 papaer back £25)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back