• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best place this weekend for skuas (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

I know this is a little hyperthetical, but is it possible to guess where woul dbe best this weekend for sea watching?

Such strong westerlies would suggest the west coast I suspect, would Liverpool bay and adjaceny coats be a good spot to witness any seabird movement following such strong onshore gales?

I know this is a little hyperthetical, but is it possible to guess where woul dbe best this weekend for sea watching?

Such strong westerlies would suggest the west coast I suspect, would Liverpool bay and adjaceny coats be a good spot to witness any seabird movement following such strong onshore gales?

the seawatching off norfolk has been good all week with 100+ poms, grey phal, all three divers, ducks etc noted off sheringham on tuesday and more NW forecast which is the best for us.

The passage started on saturday with relatively light NW's and calm seas, with such strong gales there should be still alot of poms still churned up in the north sea

I'm going to try a pier i haven't tried before to see if i can get close views of Poms.
for more details on the Pom passage check the norfolk local patch site.

Thanks for that pomskua - thats helped a lot. I presumed with the projected wind direction the west uk coast would benefit.

Thanks for that pomskua - thats helped a lot. I presumed with the projected wind direction the west uk coast would benefit.

I imagine Pom Skuas prediction could be the best. Although Poms are passing down the W Coast, for instance birds in Broadford Bay and the Minch, much larger numbers are passing down the East coast at the moment, so with such stron winds it wouldn't be surprising if there's a few more, and even maybe some inland. Other benefit of the E coast is there should be plenty of Little Auks, about time the Midlands had one of those....keep your eyes out for Brunnichs people!!!

I would head for the east coast this weekend ,should be still Little Auks passing but they wont be huge numbers like they have been today i dont think.

We had 13 Pom Skuas past Holme on the Saturday, so still reasonable numbers. As well as this we had 50+ Little Auks, 1 Artic Skua, 1 Great Skua, 9 skua sp, all three divers, Red-necked Grebe, Shag, 140+ Kittiwakes etc.

Connor

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back