• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zoom Binoculars (1 Viewer)

william j clive

Yesterday presented the opportunity of a look through zoom binos. They carried the name of that famous lens manufacturer - Boots the Chemists, and were of indeterminate age. They had been donated for use at The National Wetland Centre, Wales. So who actually made them is a mystery. Whoever it was, I was quite surprised by how good they were.

Perhaps I should rephrase that, and say that they were nowhere near as bad as I expected them to be! They were 7-15x35. Reasonably bright at 7x, but getting markedly gloomier when zoomed, while the already narrow field just disappeared. The definition was still reasonable at 15x, though. That was unexpected.

So is there room in the birder's kitbag for a zoom binocular? Do you have a pair that you can tell us about? Is it worth the bother and the expense? Opinions please.

Clive

Only one more post for the ton. :bounce:

I have some comments, look under Binoculars, Bushnell.

I think the x35 ia a good choice, the x25s I have definitely need some more viewing angle. I think the porros were a good choice here, and reasonably sharp image.

Nikon has some models too.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back