• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mating White-tailed eagles (1 Viewer)

Hi! Just got back from the Danube. Yesterday had a really amazing observation of white-tailed eagles. Two birds were perching on a very distant poplar tree. One was probably 3-years old and the other 4-years (ID with the help of the black collins guide). soon the younger one mounted the other and copulated briefly. then , about one hour later, they did it again- this time much longer. while at it one of the birds was calling really loudly all through the second copulation. not sure which one, though. then we saw the immature male fly into an eagle nest, nearby and poke around with the stikcs a bit. he waited there for some time then took off , then came back again, then went back to the female, which wasnt really bothered at all.
This is a really rare observation for Bulgaria and I was wondering if anyone has some comments regarding:

- the possibility of two immature birds breeding

- the timing of these copulations (1/03 and around 3.35 + 4.36 PM).

Has anyone seen mating white-tailed eagles before and if so - can you please give me any details about your own observations (screaming, frequency, place, behaviour of both birds etc). That would be really helpfull! :)

Thanks!

Hi Onebluemammal,

Interesting record! I've seen a pair of adults mating in Scotland, but that was April.

I suspect they were probably just playng, rather than it being anything for real.

Where on the Danube was this? I spent a week on the Danube birding 2½ years ago, Kozloduy area.

Michael

hi Michael,
yeah that was not far from Kozlodui but a bit more to the east - in the area of the Belene Islands.
it's a really great place to do bird watching!
what season did u go to kozlodui and did you seen any white -tailed eagles there?

In Scotland the White-tailed Eagles breeding season starts in January, usually display flights over territory, copulation can start as early as the middle of Feb, by the second to third week in March eggs are laid but can be earlier. Golden Eagle first egg is laid generally the third week in March, unusual to be any earlier.

nirofo.

Last edited:
I was told the other day by an ornithologist here that White-tailed Eagles have regularly been reported breeding at 3-4 years old so seeing immature birds copulating is probably not unusual (but is certainly spectacular!)

E

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back