• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grasshopprer Warbler a lifer (1 Viewer)

john gardiner

I set out early on a glorious morning for Waldridge Fell before the dog walkers got out and about . I saw some nice birds Green Woodpecker , Whitethroat , Wheatear and on 3 occasions got within 20 metres of some Roe Deer . I was on the homeward leg when crossing a stream I heard what sounded like a insect , bit too loud for an insect It had to be a bird eventually I located a small bird low in a bush . I tried to get closer by stalking it through a bog eventually I was virtually sitting in the bog to get a look I could only see the underside of the bird a light brown buff colour.It was sitting there singing it's little head off . When I got home I checked the bird song confirming it to be indeed a Grasshopper Warbler , my first sighting ever ( having only heard it before ) rounding the walk off nicely .

Nice story John. I have only ever heard it, usually at night walking back from the pub! I wish I could see one someday even though its a LBJ!

got to within 6 feet of one last year. it was singing like mad and was totally oblivious to my presence. cracking wee bird.

You're a lucky man! I think Grasshopper Warblers are something special. I don't get to see them very often (less than annually), but always love it when I do.

Just been watching one at close range, reeling his little heart out. They really are something special. I almost wished that I was a digiscoper, and that doesn't often happen.

I had my first one three weeks ago. First saw a small brownish bird flying into the reed, then it suddenly started of rattling. Awesome experience!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back