• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Scotland birding (3 Viewers)

I went to Lochwinnoch today. Reports of an osprey there most of yesterday, including fishing in Aird Meadow. Unfortunately no luck today.

Only highlights were a snipe that was flushed in the distance, a spotted flycatcher on a branch no more than a few metres from me, and surprisingly, my first great spotted woodpeckers of the year. I had been sure I'd already seen them earlier in the year - but no, I checked my list and it was missing!

I had hoped to see an orchid or two as well, but the area where I saw them this time last year is now overgrown with other plants.

I got my first Spotted Flycatcher at Barons Haugh yesterday. It was much higher in the treetops than I had expected, but after a bit of time I finally got a front-on view of the streaking. Great bird. Lots of Whitethroats still singing and Blackcaps seemingly everywhere. A couple of Song Thrushes very vocal and a Nuthatch on feeders.

Hi all,

Today a lovely day of birding again with my Dutch birding friend.

Starting at Clyde muirshiel visitor centre: 2 Cuckoo seen, at least 2 Spotted flycather, 1 Mistle trush, 2 Garden warblers, 3 Ravens, 6 Goldcrest, 3 Lesser Redpoll, 1 male Bullfinch etcetc.

Highlight where my first 2 Scottish Reed warblers at Newshot Island.
Here the link where we heard and saw exactly the Reed warblers: http://observado.org/waarneming/view/77015058
At least 2 where seeing singing at the same time. one quite close and 1 about 50 meters North of the arrow.
I even afraid to tell you guys but maybe even a third bird singing distantly but we are not sure about that. It was hard to see the birds.
Strangely enough we heard only 1 Sedge warbler!!! and a couple of Reed buntings.
First thoughts where; Why did I not visit this area before......

Because I thought to remember that the first report of the Reed warbler here was near the River Cart we started/park our car near the seawage about 1 km east of the arrow in the link. When we saw there was almost no reed beds in that area we dicided to walk more in westerly direction where we eventually heard the Reed warblers.

Because we walked all the way from River Cart we did not had much time to spent at Newshot Island but I certainly will be back! (all though I do not know when)

After this a short look from Loch Thom: 145 Canada geese, 75 Greyleg geese but no Red tr diver.

Cheers,
Rik

Great sightings and particularly interesting to hear about Reed Warblers at Newshot. I certainly didn't know this was a site for them.

Hi everyone,
Saturday the 31th of August a lovely day of birdwatching in Clyde area.
Starting with Baron's haugh.

Highlight was a 2nd winter Med gull shortly present around 10.45am between de Black headed gulls. Just came in during heavy rain. After the rain has stoped the Black headed gulls including the Med gull flew North towards Strathclyde loch.

Other many birds where:
4 Black tailed Godwitt
1 juv Ruff
3 Green Sandpipers
3 Common Sandpipers (1 common with a broken leg)
2 Waterrails (1 full grown juv seen infront of Phoenix hide and 1 heard from Marsh hide)
4 Ringed plovers
2 Dunlin
5 Shovelers
4 Wigeons
15 Gadwall
20 Little Grebe
30 Teal
10 Snipe
2 Buzzards (without tags)
1 Stockdove
1 Jay (only heard)
6 Canada geese
1 Fox present (picture here: http://observado.org/waarneming/view/78820937

At Dalzell Estate:
3 Nutchatch
2 Spotted Flycathers (quite late already?)
3 Treecreeper
3 Goldchrest
4 Bullfinch and
many Coal tits

On the Clyde: 9 Goosanders

At Carbarns the Highlight of the day.
1 Garganey between the Teals and 7 Wigeon.
I didn't had my Birdguide with me, but just looked in my book and come to the conclusion it is a Eclips Male. In Birdguide it reads 'Eclips Male as Female but during flight the blue-ish upperwing can be seen. That was also when I saw the bird flying.
other details seen: white chin, white eyebrow, slightly bigger then teal (also in flight), longer bill, other kind of behaviour as Teal.

Other birds at Carbarns:
25 Teal
7 Wigeon
1 Common sandpiper
1 Raven
1 Grey Wagtail
1 Buzzard

Then up to Hoggenfield Loch.
Highlight there was a male Ruddy duck! Here some nice pictures all though the light was not ideal: http://observado.org/waarneming/view/78820958
Other birds where:
31 Pochards (nice count)
13 Gadwalls
15 Little Grebes
70 Coot
2 Buzzards
50 Tufties
8 Great crested grebe
and 1 Mute swan with an unusual Lime Green ring with inscription PDP. Picture of the ring here: http://observado.org/waarneming/view/78820966

Unfortunately no time to check for Ruddy ducks on Frankfield loch.

Quickly up to Newshot Island where the highlight was:
2 Med gulls between the many black headed gulls!!!!
First I discovered an Adult winter Med gull. About 20 minutes later another Med gull. This time a 1st Winter Med gull.
Because I only saw 2 times before a 1st winter Med gull I was determined to take some pictures so here some evidence of the 1st winter Med gull:
http://observado.org/waarneming/view/78821044

Other birds at Newshot Island where:
10 Black tailed godwitt
3 juv Ruffs (2 Male, 1 female; The birds from Auchendores reservoir?)
2 Snipe
1 Kingfisher
50 Redshanks
90 Greyleg geese
30 Teal
2 Willow warblers
150 Black headed gulls at Newshot Island but also another 220 Black headed gulls at the sewage West of Newshot Island. Unfornately I didn't had any time left to check the sewage for Med gulls.
Also 1 Black headed gull with a white Color ring ending with N8 but to far to read the whole ring.
To windy to hear for any Reed warblers.
Strangly enough my goal here was to see Waterrails. The tide was low and almost no water at Newshot so no Rails where seen.

Again, I was a lovely day!

Cheers,
Rik

Visited Lochwinnoch today. Species-wise there was nothing really out of the ordinary, but there were loads of ducks, including mallard, tufted duck, goldeneye, goosander, pochard, teal, wigeon. I thought I saw a female scaup as it had a clear white patch above its bill, but I couldn't definitely be sure at the distance that it wasn't a tufted duck.

36 whooper swans on Aird Meadow too. In total I got 27 species there today, taking my year total (it was the first time this year I've been out birding) to 38.

I was at Barons Haugh this afternoon where I was pleasantly surprised to see the Little Egret fly in, circle and land a few times, before disappearing to view. Chestnut Walk has now been cleared of the felled trees - it's a real shame the amount of trees lost along there. All hides and paths now clear of water, but the water level in the haugh is still high.

Other birds of interest: Pochard, Gadwall, Shoveler, Buzzard, Kestrel, Curlew, Lapwing, Whooper Swan, Great Black-backed Gull and Nuthatch.

I called in at Strathclyde Loch on the way home and added Goosander and a 1st-winter Iceland Gull (thanks to the other birder who confirmed it).

silverbill

i am coming to stay around ilses of luing and seil west coast of scotland end of may has anyone been birding and wildlife watching in these areas hoping to get some good photographs

I've not been to those two islands, however they're in a bit of a hotspot, close to Mull, so you're probably likely to see lots of top birds. From spring you'd be likely to see puffins, gannets, guillemots, razorbills, Manx shearwaters and many other seabirds, as well as white-tailed eagles. It's also a really good area for cetaceans, so if you can get out onto the water you might see minke whales, common dolphins and more.

Activity seems to really be building up at Lochwinnoch.

I saw 45 species today, including an odd mix of winter and summer visitors. There is still a male smew on Aird Meadow (and there were two earlier in the week), as well as three whooper swans hanging around. Summer visitors now include barn swallows, house martins, willow warblers, chiffchaffs.

A juvenile male sparrowhawk has been perching right in front of the visitor centre, offering superb views, while a common buzzard perches upon a water depth marker in the nearby pond.

The new water channels they've created are still a bit bare of vegetation close to the water, but they seem to be really attracting more birds in now. Canada and greylag geese, oystercatchers and lapwings, among other more regular Lochwinnoch birds were present, and in recent weeks they've also had greenshank and redshank. They look like they'll be a valuable addition to the habitats on the reserve.

On the water, the great crested grebes put on an excellent display today, with the full mating dance including rising up out of the water towards each other with vegetation in their beaks.

Took a trip down to Ayr today. Had a few target species to see (got some, missed others, but got some others I didn't expect).

First up was a gannet flying north up the Firth of Clyde. I have to say that Ayr is a hotbed for house sparrows - they're in decline in so many places, but they appear to be doing very well here, although I'd need to check the stats for them.

Got a bunch of waders, including redshank (about 50+ at Doonfoot), oystercatcher, curlew, ringed plover, dunlin.

A few common terns were making themselves heard just south of Doonfoot, and then I noticed some large looking terns - sandwich terns, eight of them! I've only ever seen them in the east coast before.

Other firsts for the year included a rock pipit and a couple of red-breasted mergansers.

Two butterfly species too: small tortoishell (several) and one peacock.

I walked north along the beach towards the harbour (it's en route I had a dog running snarling at me). I had hoped for black guillemots. No luck this time! However, I noticed a little splash on the far side of the harbour, and I kept watching - yes, there it was, an otter! That's the second time in a few years I've seen one at that precise spot!

Dogs apart, it was a good day.

I just saw a swift - the earliest I've ever seen one. Previous best was 6 May.

I see one was reported on BirdGuides in Edinburgh on 8 April.

The Black Guillemonts, do not seem to be as large in numbers in the Ayr Harbour area this year.
I work with in the port and do still see them, last year, i know of 6 nesting pairs.

I've normally found it to be a good spot for them. You are practically guaranteed seeing them in Oban, but Ayr is much more accessible.

Purple sandpipers often seen on the breakwater too.

Yes, and yes;)

A great island to visit in the breeding season Alex. Try and be there early for the first ferry.

There's some very basic information on the Opus article with some links.

It's worth having a drive round the peninsula after you return to the mainland - you don't know what you'll find on the various lochs.

Anyone ever been Handa Island and is it worth a visit?

Two Skua species, Puffins, three diver species in the Lochs and waters around the launch point for the boat, seen Golden and Sea Eagles over head... and colonies of sea birds that defy description...

As delia todd said 'yes, yes yes!'

:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back