• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geese (Ukraine)? (1 Viewer)

osprey0311

Hi to all!
Could it be Anser brachrynchos?
Westrn Ukraine, today.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7096.jpg
    IMG_7096.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7097.jpg
    IMG_7097.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 67
apcdave, yes, but for example this is website, where You can see photos from Poland (less then 300 km from place where I made a photos) from 18/03/2016
http://clanga.com/index.php/gallery/show_by_birdname/Ptaki rzadkie i nieliczne/Pink-footed+Goose/2

Small numbers also recorded in Lithuania every year, admittedly with flocks that are probably wintering in western Europe ...but it does show that Pink-foots are occurring in eastern Europe, so it wouldn't be such a major shock if an occasional record occurred in Ukraine.

Small numbers also recorded in Lithuania every year, admittedly with flocks that are probably wintering in western Europe ...but it does show that Pink-foots are occurring in eastern Europe, so it wouldn't be such a major shock if an occasional record occurred in Ukraine.
Reasonable, as Svalbard Pinkfeet wintering in Netherlands / Denmark must occasionally get caught up with Tundra Beans from further east. But four together for a (first?) Ukrainian record strikes me as stretching credulity.

But four together for a (first?) Ukrainian record strikes me as stretching credulity.

Perhaps so, but geese tend to migrate in family parties, and therefore flocks of vagrants are actually not unusual. For example, Pink-feets are very rare around here (PT), but groups (apparently closely related birds) have occurred.

Reasonable, as Svalbard Pinkfeet wintering in Netherlands / Denmark must occasionally get caught up with Tundra Beans from further east. But four together for a (first?) Ukrainian record strikes me as stretching credulity.

I think they are Beans, but was just making the point to the poster who poured scorn with the 'million miles' comment. Even four together however is not beyond possibility - first record for Lithuania was a single bird about 15-20 years, but soon further records followed, including records of three or four birds. In Lithuania's case, they are now a regular small scale migrant, several being seen every year and it is likely that they were overlooked in earlier years. No big reason they couldn't get to Ukraine, a single bird or small group. A flock xof several hubdred would stretch credulity however :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back