• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using a handheld for birding? (1 Viewer)

peteh said:
Hello Mark
what program did you use for your counts?

I just made up a very simple Excel spreadsheet and transferred it to the handheld.
Hopefully it is attached with this posting.

Mark

Attachments

• Webs Count January 04.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 368
Well, I'm contributing to this thread rather late, parly to make a comment, and partly to see if my "wish-kit" is available!

Firstly, one or two contributors have said that you don't fancy the idea of a hand-held in iffy conditions. On the one hand, I don't think it would be too much of a problem unless it was absolutely siling it down - on the other hand, I don't actually know diddly-squat. Anyone got any first-hand experience.

My question (and if the answer's already been said, forgive me, but I had trouble following this at times!) is this..

What I'd like to do, effectively is

a) select species
b) select map location
c) enter number

with a view to plotting these records over time on a map of my local patch.

Is there anything out there that will do this?

Cheers. :t:

Ish :)

The way I do it at the moment (until pocket mapmate comes out:) is

to use a program called listpro on my ipaq.
I have made a list of the WP birds to work in listpro as the default spreadsheet and its just a matter of tapping in the quantity, location, notes etc in the species rows.
Then at the end of the day I save the list as a .csv file (funny text file if anyone doesnt know)
then transfer this to my pc during an active sync.
I then just open Mapmate on my pc
import in the .csv file and bobs your uncle
all my data is in mapmate and showing on my maps.
Without me having to write a jot!
Hurah.

Last edited:
Aaaahhh!

I figured you'd said something like that, and I had a quick nosey at the MapMate webpage.

Looks promising!

Here's a Question, What sort usage time do you get out of Pda's before they need a re-charge? I have tried a Sony Clie which is not very long 2 1/2 to 3 hours,Hope to be trying a Tungsten T3 in future, Manufacturers don't seem to give operating times.

digimad said:
Here's a Question, What sort usage time do you get out of Pda's before they need a re-charge? I have tried a Sony Clie which is not very long 2 1/2 to 3 hours,Hope to be trying a Tungsten T3 in future, Manufacturers don't seem to give operating times.

If you go for something really basic like a Palm m105 then you can get weeks out of 2xAAA batteries. This is the setup we use for keeping our birding records. We use HanDBase on the Palms and output the data in csv format for uploading to our main DBase.

2 1/2 to 3 hrs is about right for 100% solid use for my ipaq
But I havent ever used my pda solid for that long.
Especially since the boot up is instantaneous.
I just leave the power save option on and my pda
lasts for days without charge.

Thank you Helenh and Peteh,

This Tungsten T3 i haven't worked out if it uses removable batteries, Oh well too late now head not in gear when Bright Shiny Gadget comes along, MMM Gadgets. Will go now and observe the Techno on it.

Thanks Again!

My iPaq 1945 gives me a couple of days without problem. Yesterday, I was at a local bird club event that included field trips in the morning and workshops/lectures in the afternoon. One of the workshops was on birding equipment. I used my iPaq throughout the day on the field trips (including some pre-dawn email retreival, internet surfing for some info tied to the event, and weather reports for the day...I was online for a good 30-40 minutes straight!) and then a hearty demo for the folks at the equipment workshop. This was much more usage than a typical day's birding for me and I ended up with something around 65% left. Just in case, I carry an extra battery (although many PDAs do not have replaceable batteries!).

Hi Papasula,

Sounds impressive,the iPaq you talk of, The Tungsten T3 Techno babble does'nt mention removable batts.
With your iPaq is all of what you've done been using the screen full on? ie the Back Light, i know this uses up more Power.

With the 1945, I typically have the screen brightness at half (the settings allow 5 different brightness choices). When I demo the capabilities for people, I usually put it up to full brightness for ease of viewing of those not used to looking at PDA screens. I also have the Bluetooth turned on all the time...another battery drainer.

Thank s for the Info, That gives a good impression of the Ipaq,I have Surfed the Web and found battery Plug in's for PDA's if i get a prob that will be the answer.

Thanks.

Keep in mind that not every model of iPaq has this type of battery life. The older models (3600, 3700, 3800, and some 3900 series) have a version of the operating system that does not use the power as efficiently as the newer ones. With the latest version, Windows Mobile 2003, there were tweaks applied that use power, processor, and memory more efficiently and thus, you get a longer period between charges. The 1945 has one of the smallest batteries out there at 900mA but I get better battery performance than I ever did with my old 3635 with the same battery capacity.

A car charger is always a good idea to have along for the models without replaceable batteries!

Steve

Well your right a car charger should be a must, as i think with these newer type batteries there is no memory effect if you part charge them for a while, Ahh Gadgets give me more, Are they any good at viewing Camera pictures ?

Viewing pictures is great! The screens that display 64K colors (16 bit) are better than the ones that only have 4K (12 bit). If you take digital photos in the field (digiscoping) and your camera's storage card is compatible with the PDA, you can review what you just shot on a screen that is 4X the size of the camera's LCD.

Steve

p.s. I'm writing this reply on my iPaq and posting via my cellphone! I love this stuff!

p.s. I'm writing this reply on my iPaq and posting via my cellphone! I love this stuff![/QUOTE]

I just don't seem to be able to configure my handheld to work with my mobile (cellphone). I've tried to follow the instructions it dials my ISP' number but just won't connect. Any tips?

Mark

A good resource is www.brighthand.com

This is great handheld site very similar (though not in content) to Birdforum.

Do a search in the discussions for your particular handheld and connecting via a cellphone.

Good luck,

Steve

p.s. If you don't have any luck, let me know and I can try to help!

p.s. If you don't have any luck, let me know and I can try to help!

I'm still non the wiser. The problem I'm having is getting my handheld to dial my ISP' number. I am trying to connect to the same ISP that my land line connects to. I have entered the country code as 44 (the UKs code) but am not sure what to put in the area code box, I have then entered my isp' dial up number. When I try to connect several other numbers appear infront of my isp' number though. My mobile responds by attempting to dial the number but cannot connect. If I try to dial my isp' number on my mobile it does connect though :h?:

Any help would be most welcome.

Mark

Last edited:
Hello Mark,

This is to do with the dialing rules.
Go into the connection you have set up and on that page it has dialing rules. In there, there is an option called dialing patterns.
I have changed all the patterns to G. (I am guessing yours will have something like Efg.)
This means that when dialing the pda only uses the phone number and ignores the country and area codes.
Then when you put in your isp number just put the whole thing (without the 44) into the phone number box.
Hope that helps.

Pete.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back