• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide for Israel and Egypt? (1 Viewer)

jimmyjames

Hello, I plan on heading to Israel and then Egypt from Jan - March.

Can anyone help me with a field guide that might incorporate both areas that is as compact as possible?

Thank You in advance

James

The usual Collins one should do you.
Or else the older 'Heinzel Fitter and Parslow' if it is still on the go.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I have the Collins with the black cover so maybe that's enough.

Am heading through Eastern Europe afterwards so just taking one will be a bonus. When I was in the Middle East before though I wasn't sure how accurate the species distribution is. Must be a hard area to cover well.

When I visited Egypt, I supplemented with Beaman & Madge -- not exactly pocket-size, I am afraid! It does include species such as the Ostrich.

Niels

Actually, I don't think Collins is going to cover it if I manage to get down to the Southern lakes of Egypt.. : (

No, you are right. I had assumed wrongly that it would be northern Egypt as you mentioned Israel.
There is a guide to Middle eastern birds by Richard Porter et al but if I was you I would try and find the Heinzel Fitter and Parslow one - it has everything in for Egypt, Israel and Europe and the only problem (as with all the options) is that there have been a few splits such as gulls and warblers.

Steve

The usual Collins one should do you.
Or else the older 'Heinzel Fitter and Parslow' if it is still on the go.

Steve

Hi Steve---

What is the "usual Collins one"? We are newbies to Old World birding with only one German trips under our belts. I have a niece going to be stationed in Egypt and am exploring our options. Thanks.

Lofft

The Collins Bird Guide by Mullarney, Svensson, Zetterstrom and Grant.
ISBN 0 00 710082 5

Soon to be revised I believe.

Steve

When I visited Egypt, I supplemented with Beaman & Madge -- not exactly pocket-size, I am afraid! It does include species such as the Ostrich.

Niels

I have a vivid mental picture of Niels being pursued through the Eastern Desert by an angry Ostrich, as he struggles with his weighty copy of Beaman & Madge in a desperate attempt to confirm all diagnostic features.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back