• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Phylloscopus sp. (Central Spain) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Hello everyone. I saw these birds today in a park in Guadalajara (Spain). Each number represents a different bird. I have included the "best" pictures for each bird, but if you need more images of any of them, just let me know.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
The problem here is the possibility of Iberian Chiffchaff. 2-4 are Willow Warblers imo, 5 is apparently also one (P6 is not emarginated), but I'd like to see more pics of #1.

Rafael, you for sure have way more experience with Iberian Chiffchaffs than me. Still, I'm not convinced Willow Warbler and IC can be really told apart based on these pics. E.g. No.3 seems to have quite a short pp for a WW, no?

Rafael, you for sure have way more experience with Iberian Chiffchaffs than me. Still, I'm not convinced Willow Warbler and IC can be really told apart based on these pics. E.g. No.3 seems to have quite a short pp for a WW, no?
Legs of #3 are too pale for Iberian imo, but I agree PP is on the shorter side for WW; body seems quite bulky, and structurally it fits WW better to my eye.
The one that actually makes me more uncomfortable is #5, as emarginations to P5 only rule out Common Chiffchaff; legs and bill are also on the darker side (for WW) and bill and body structure seem too delicate and compact for WW; I also note that the under TC seem on the whitish side. These are hard birds to ID from single shots and I admit I've been a lot sharper at IDying them than I am now so obviously more opinions are very welcomed.

I'd like to see more pics of #1

I am afraid number 1 is in its best pose in the given picture. There are no better side views of this bird. I can post different face angles if you want me to.

By the way, my mistake, I should have told you all to include the part of the bird you wanted to see in the extra pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back