• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accipitridae sp. (Central Spain) (1 Viewer)

SLopezM

Sergio López Martín
Hello everyone! Two days ago I saw these two different birds in Guadalajara (Spain). They were flying together, within a migratory flock of Milvus migrans. I guess they also belong to this species, but I wanted to make sure because they looked a little bit different to me (number 1 looks a little bit lighter, while number 2 shows a strange plumage pattern (moulting, perhaps?)).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 104
First one is a Black Kite, second one looks to be a heavily moulting Bonelli's Eagle, judging by the wing pattern, lack of pattern on the head and general build (although the head is held at a weird angle). In fact, given the frazzled look of the remiges and tail feathers, it almost looks like it escaped from captivity.

On such an extremely worn bird as no. 2 (it's far more worn than moulting), I'm not sure how to rule out dark-morph booted eagle. Can counting primary-fingers be trusted? General bulk?

I went with bulk, to be honest. Also good point about the wear vs moulting, I seemingly forgot about that.

Last edited:
So, number 1 is clearly a black kite (Milvus migrans). But you have considered different options for number 2, so... what is the final verdict?

By the way, I include here a new picture where you can see both number 1 (top right) and number 2 (bottom left) together, just in case comparing them helps.

Attachments

• 1and2.jpg
    1and2.jpg
    992.4 KB · Views: 25
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back