• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopian birds (1 Viewer)

notjes

Who can identify this birds taken in Ethiopia in february ( Ziway lake region , rift valley ) . Thanks you

Attachments

• 016. pipit africain - lac koka - Copie.JPG
    016. pipit africain - lac koka - Copie.JPG
    280.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 017. traquet - lac koka - Copie.JPG
    017. traquet - lac koka - Copie.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 027. becasseau - ziway - Copie.JPG
    027. becasseau - ziway - Copie.JPG
    225.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 031. chevalier - ziway - Copie.JPG
    031. chevalier - ziway - Copie.JPG
    254.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 047. guifette leucoptère - ziway - Copie.JPG
    047. guifette leucoptère - ziway - Copie.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 65
4 more

Attachments

• 052. merle - ziway - Copie.JPG
    052. merle - ziway - Copie.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 053. souimanga - ziway - Copie.JPG
    053. souimanga - ziway - Copie.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 055. serin - ziway - Copie.JPG
    055. serin - ziway - Copie.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 061. tisserin gendarme - ziway - Copie.JPG
    061. tisserin gendarme - ziway - Copie.JPG
    223 KB · Views: 54
Hello

I would say the following

1-Grassland pipit

2-Isabelline wheatear

3-little stint

4-wood sandpiper

5-white-winged tern

6-african thrush

7-juv sunbird . but not sure what

8-stripe-breasted seedeater !!(not sure , lets see other opinions

9-female village weaver

Thanks Bassel,. I am more or less ok with you. Just some doubts about
2. between isabelline and northern ?
6. between african and mountain thrush ?
7. i think about shining sunbird ?
8. between stripe breasted and reichenow seedeater ?

What do you think ???

Hello again

Actually regarding the wheatear , I am not very good with them. but I got to my guide and it states that isabelline is little larger than female northern , stands very upright( your wheatear seems little good to fit this description ) , and it has a stronger bill than female northern( also bill seems strong in the pic). But I am sure that others are much more better than me and will give better and more precise and good answers than mine. so lets see other's opinions.

2-between african and mountain thrush , I believed its african since , the orange is restricted to the flanks and not extending to the lower breast. Also the habitat( I think mountain thrush is likely to be seen more in the ethiopian highlands.

3-the seedeater , I am sure not reinchenow's. I am confused between stripe breasted and streaky . I am going towards stripe-breasted(the spericilium seems longer than in streaky.) but lets see others opinions also.

Last edited:
Thanks Bassel,. I am more or less ok with you. Just some doubts about
2. between isabelline and northern ?
6. between african and mountain thrush ?
7. i think about shining sunbird ?
8. between stripe breasted and reichenow seedeater ?

What do you think ???

Hi Notjes

Isabelline not Northern - as suggested

African not Mountain

My gut reaction on sunbird was Beautiful due to the green feathers coming through on the belly

IMO Reichenow's not Stripe-breasted - note yellow rump, but it does have a confusing head pattern - slightly more prominent super and malar stripe than normal http://www.planetscott.com/img/5855/large/reichards-seedeater-(serinus-reichardi).jpg

Brian S

Brian,
I don't think the Sunbird is pulchellus. No sign of central streamers, and the terminal tail should be more rounded even if they were not yet growing in, also we can just see the last of the undertail coverts and they are not edged green (as should be in pulchellus). I am still stuck between habessinicus, and mariquensis, slightly favoring the former until now. I am wondering if the species (habessinicus) actually does have an eclipse phase for the ranging habessinicus (I can't find mention of it in the Cheke & Mann) though Nik Borrow has a photo uploaded to AfBID (the Djibouti ranging race alter) that he identifies as an adult eclipse male (actually, he calls it non-breeding male).

Last edited:
notjes,
For the Sunbird - the bill looks too weak for mariquensis. Best guess is therefore what you thought originally - habessinicus. I don't know, however, if it is a juvenile or not. I see no softness at the flange though I would think that an adult male would have a blacker bill. If the species does have an eclipse phase in the non-breeding male, and I am not sure of this, then that is what it might be rather than a juvenile bird.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back