• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hidden Walk (1 Viewer)

Reader

Now that the pressure is off me to find work I found that I had a couple of hours to spare this afternoon.

I decided to take the dogs for a walk around the streets by us. No camera or bins as there are no walks around by us (or so I thought) that would produce any birds.

I walked along the main Warwick road and after about half a mile came across the bridge where the small river Cole runs underneath the road. There are no walks here due to the steep banksides so I walked on. After about another 50 yards the road turns left where a brand new Industrial Estate has been built. There are some gates here with Private road written across them and as I past them I niticed another sign saying public footpath to Greet Meadows. Greet Meadows, I had never heard of it. All I could see was a new brick style footpath leading away into the estate so I turned to walk along it. After about 300 yards it gradually went left and in the distance I could see an opening that went through a partially wooded and green area. I was dumbstruck as I hadn't a clue that this place existed.

As soon as I entered through the opening a couple of Long tailed Tits could be seen flitting through the branches near to me. 15 Canada Geese, flying in a V formation, went honking over my head. Good start I thought. Starlings were giving their budgie song and sounded as if they were talking amongst themselves.

Following the path I added Blue & Great Tit, Blackbird, Greenfinch, Sparrow, Robin, Magpie, Collared Dove, Pigeon and Crow until came to where the river runs under the main Stratford Road. Here I added Wren, Mallard and Moorhen. All along this path was full of bird song. Isn't it great. Spring isn't far away now and the birds really know it.

It was time to turn back and retrace my steps. Most of what I had seen I saw on the way back until I reached about halfway. At this point a lovely Song Thrush dropped onto a branch by the side of me and began to sing its heart out. Oh for my camera because it was within 15 feet of me and staying in one spot. I bet I don't get another opportunity like that again.

By the time I had gotten home I had been out for just over an hour. I thoroughly enjoyed my hidden walk and can't wait until all the birds have arrived over here to see what else I can find.

Not bad at all John considering you didn't expect to see anything! A pleasant treat, I would think. That'll teach you for next time too. ALWAYS take the camera!

Andrew, I had the same thought as I read this! That sounds like quite a dream. I love it when I discover something that I've overlooked for so long.

This place will always be here. It is a fairly narrow corridor of trees and bits of green that follows the line of the river Cole (which is a very narrow, shallow river of about 6 feet wide) and meanders through an industrial estate and an inner city area of houses, where their back gardens back onto the river on one side and the corridor on the other, In fact at times there is only about 40 feet between the river and the gardens.

It is a vastly run down area where a lot of the houses are old and falling into disrepair through lack of money. Tyres, refuse of all kinds, pallets, old bikes, a burnt out car litter the area giving a surreal effect where nature meets people and their problems.

But there are birds, and plenty of them, and they are singing creating an oasis of noise amongst the degredation of urban life.

Cheers John, reminds me of how I discovered Carpenters Down woods. I was walking my dog and went down a footpath Under the railway and into the industrial estate, the path continued the other side and hey presto I found about 1000 acres of amazing woodland.

In my many visits there I have seen all 3 woodpeckers, hawfinch, all the tits, with the exceptions of bearded and crested. Kestrels and sparrowhawks, well the list is huge but you get the picture. I'm still waiting for the elusive firecrest that has been spotted there but maybe Sunday's mini-meet will turn it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back