• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 'Wide' eyepeices becoming 'Wider' but not actually wider? (1 Viewer)

Dialyt

The Definitive Binocular
Is this some kind of mistake or joke?

I've checked on the Warehouseexpress.com website, and notice the following 2 eyepeices for Kowa 60mm scopes:

Kowa x20w Eyepiece Wide Angle (x20w eyepiece wide angle (being phased out) 146-020) £119.00
Further Details
Model TSE-21WD Magnification 20x, Wide Real Field of View 3.3 degrees Apparent Field of View 66 degrees Exit Pupil Diameter 3.3-3.0mm Relative Brightness 10.9-9.0 Eye Relief 20mm Field of View at 1000yds/m 57.6m/yds

compared with:

Kowa x20w Eyepiece Wider Angle £149.00
x20w eyepiece wider angle, twist-up eyecups 146-220.

Further Details
Model TSE-21WD Magnification 20x, Wide Real Field of View 3.3 degrees Apparent Field of View 66 degrees Exit Pupil Diameter 3.3-3.0mm Relative Brightness 10.9-9.0 Eye Relief 20mm Field of View at 1000yds/m 57.6m/yds

So it's a new, improved version, with a 'wider' field of view.... Anyone know what's going on here?

Looking at my 3rd edition In Focus equipment guide I have the specs for the old TS 20x wide eyepice and perhaps this is the one being phased out.

It has a fold down rubber eyecup eye relief of 11.5 mm and field of view of 54m at 1000m, so the new one is wider.

They don't give the exact model number but at the time of the guide they were listing specs for the TS610 series spotting scope so it relates to the 60mm model at least.

Nev

Looking at my 3rd edition In Focus equipment guide I have the specs for the old TS 20x wide eyepice and perhaps this is the one being phased out.

It has a fold down rubber eyecup eye relief of 11.5 mm and field of view of 54m at 1000m, so the new one is wider.

They don't give the exact model number but at the time of the guide they were listing specs for the TS610 series spotting scope so it relates to the 60mm model at least.

Nev

Thanks, that makes sense. The WarehouseExpress site shows the same picture of the new pop-up eyepiece for each entry with two different prices, but that site seems riddled with errors and omissions anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back