• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wanting to give a hummingbird feeder as a gift...suggestion ones as to a good one (1 Viewer)

cadillactaste

I have taken down the Parasol feed because it kept attracting bees. And they seemed to find it when I moved it. The other brand which I am unsure of the name...leaked.

Then I got the one I have now...no leaks...and so far no bee issues. Going on the second year of using it. (Photo attached)

I got back from a mission trip in Honduras. Seen many hummingbirds there...and thought to give a feeder to a family from there that is visiting the states. Plan on visiting them while they are hear. And wanted to give them a gift...he helped me find birds on our nature hike to a hot springs...so I thought his family may enjoy a hummingbird feeder. Thinking...sugar would be something easier to come by than say...bird feed.

Wasn't sure to just order the one I have for them...or go with another brand. Maybe one with a perch feeder so they don't have to hover.

Not sure if this is in the right forum area...since there is a forum on hummingbird feeders.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 54
I use one similar to the first shown in your link. They have served me well for a number of years.

I use one similar to the first shown in your link. They have served me well for a number of years.

So the saucer looking ones? I had one but it broke. Liked it had a clear view of all the hummers. I was going to go with Droll...but seen negative reviews of it not sitting level.

Hm-mmmm maybe I'll go with Droll Yankee's feeder for hummers then. Though I did see a few like the photo of mine...that is pretty. Pretty over easy cleaning...as a gift I don't know is the way to go. When they don't sell feeders there...in Honduras. I imagine any feeder would do. So one easy to clean...less chance of breaking would be best.

Thanks Lisa!

My husband says the pretty one would look nicer as a gift. (But they have a lot of insects in Honduras)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 41
I think of how difficult it is to fill the pretty one and clean that I have. With not having feeders in Honduras the novelty alone is a neat gift. So Droll it will be. :O) plus insects won't contaminate the nectar.

I think the Droll is a good choice, and a very nice gesture.

They arrived and I must say...I am in love with how easy they are to fill! Tomorrow after errands...I plan on chilling and seeing if any notice the two I put out front hanging from the trellis. (Had opening to hang bird houses from) I've noticed a few...around the gazebo without the feeders...so hopefully they will find them sooner than later.

Looking forward to giving them a gift that is made in the USA...and something that our culture use.

A gift feeder should be both transparent and easy to clean, IMO. Even committed feeder people have trouble keeping ahead of the mould issues, and a novice (or even a pro) might not be aware of what's happening inside a translucent one. If it was me, I'd definitely get the Droll Yankee or something similar.

A gift feeder should be both transparent and easy to clean, IMO. Even committed feeder people have trouble keeping ahead of the mould issues, and a novice (or even a pro) might not be aware of what's happening inside a translucent one. If it was me, I'd definitely get the Droll Yankee or something similar.

Thanks! We got the Droll...Love the style. Got two for ourselves as well...but will have them explain cleaning to the family. Since we need to learn Spanish yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back