• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (63 Viewers)

During the birdrace last Sunday one of our team, John Beaumont found a buteo near Cheesecake Farm which when perched looked remarkably like a Rough-leg, with pale head and breast and sharply demarcated black belly. We raised doubts however when we saw the bird briefly fly.

Last Tuesday both myself and Russell Slack independently saw the bird, again near Cheesecake Farm (just northeast of Wheldrake village). I was viewing north from Bank Island platform. This time the bird could be confirmed as 'just' a Buzzard.
I do wonder if this bird is what was claimed as a RLB very close to this area before Christmas.
Shot on my blog in a mo.
Cheers
Jono

some nice additions to my Wharfedale list with a close Smew near Otley, and many parties of Crossbills principally male birds at Stainburn... worth a visit, they are very evident at present..

Desert Wheatear still at Bempton and was showing close and well this aft on the footpath and field edge near staple newk

DesertWheatear011edited.jpg

Got down to potteric carr yesterday for the ring necked duck and more importantly, finally a Bean goose.

Hung about a little but no Bittern so I nipped up the M18 to try see hen harrier at Blacktoft. Very quiet there in terms of species quantity but managed several bearded tits, a bird I failed to see last year. Nice barn owl briefly and plenty of marsh harriers.

I was about going to give up around half three but kept hanging on for 'just 5 more minutes' and was nicely rewarded when a ring tail finally flew right to left and following it in the scope straight across the path of an adult male flying left to right.

Dipped the ring billed gull at mirfield early doors again though, overall an excellent day.

The first winter Caspian Gull was again present at YWT Wheldrake Ings this afternoon (thanks to Tim Jones for the news) but headed off south before the roost, presumably to the Humber. Poor photo on my blog.
100+ Pinkfeet went high north at 9.30am. Not much else of note, save 21 Shelducks.
Marsh Harrier reported midday.
Most of water now frozen.
Cheers,
Jono

The first winter Caspian Gull was again present at YWT Wheldrake Ings this afternoon (thanks to Tim Jones for the news) but headed off south before the roost, presumably to the Humber. Poor photo on my blog.
100+ Pinkfeet went high north at 9.30am. Not much else of note, save 21 Shelducks.
Marsh Harrier reported midday.
Most of water now frozen.
Cheers,
Jono

Selection of photos of this bird on my blog now

http://timsbirding.blogspot.com/

Cattle Egret Tophill Low

I finally managed to connect with the cattle egret that has been frequenting the Tophill low area just recently.
I went out to Hempholme yesterday morning-gave the area good scan but found no sign only to find it had been showing well in the garden of the farm at the entrance to THL.
I went back again today hoping it would be an easy one, but it had flown back to Hempholme so I walked from Tophill.
It was feeding in one of the sheep fields, then flew into a farmyard for a drink before returning back to a different sheep field.
Short eared owl was the highlight of the walk back.
More shots on the blog.

Attachments

• GP-4.jpg
    GP-4.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 66
I finally managed to connect with the cattle egret that has been frequenting the Tophill low area just recently.
I went out to Hempholme yesterday morning-gave the area good scan but found no sign only to find it had been showing well in the garden of the farm at the entrance to THL.
I went back again today hoping it would be an easy one, but it had flown back to Hempholme so I walked from Tophill.
It was feeding in one of the sheep fields, then flew into a farmyard for a drink before returning back to a different sheep field.
Short eared owl was the highlight of the walk back.
More shots on the blog.

Martin, please can you clarify - were your shots from today or yesterday? It said it was near the reserve entrance this morning on Birdguides - I'm guessing you arrived after this time? What is the distance of the views at Hempholme?

Thanks.

A bit of a dumb question, but do adult Guillemots have a winter plumage with more white on them? I thought so, and my books say so but there are loads of adult breeding plumage birds at Flamborough and hardly any 'winter plumage' ones. I wasn't really expecting to see breeding plumage birds. Are they ones that have been show to leave or are they early arrivals?!

Thanks.

Keith

I think that they are early arrivals Keith. I'm sure I read somewhere that failed breeders from one year arrive early the following year to try and get a nest site. They disappear from the breeding colony before the young fledge and so get a bit of a head start with the moult and are therefore in breeding plumage sooner.

A bit of a dumb question, but do adult Guillemots have a winter plumage with more white on them? I thought so, and my books say so but there are loads of adult breeding plumage birds at Flamborough and hardly any 'winter plumage' ones. I wasn't really expecting to see breeding plumage birds. Are they ones that have been show to leave or are they early arrivals?!

Thanks.

Keith

Martin, please can you clarify - were your shots from today or yesterday? It said it was near the reserve entrance this morning on Birdguides - I'm guessing you arrived after this time? What is the distance of the views at Hempholme?

Thanks.

Steve

My shots were from yesterday (Sunday). Yes I arrived after it had left the area at the reserve entrance.My shots were taken from the roadside in Hempholme village looking into farmland.When it landed in the farmyard it was about 30m away but in fields it was up to 100+m away.

Cheers

Got some pictures of the Wheldrake 1st winter Caspian Gull, and an ice-skating Pheasant this morning! If you need Caspo in Yorks this could be a good opportunity as the bird seems to be around fairly early before the other gulls come in (at least it appears to have done so for the last 3 days) and is easy to pick out as it is the only large gull present at this time. It is also a classic 1st winter bird so gives the opportunity to really get to grips with this species at this age. Good luck if you go!

I think that they are early arrivals Keith. I'm sure I read somewhere that failed breeders from one year arrive early the following year to try and get a nest site. They disappear from the breeding colony before the young fledge and so get a bit of a head start with the moult and are therefore in breeding plumage sooner.

Thanks Keith. When do they normally have winter plumage?

Keith (confusing having another Keith).

Thanks Keith. When do they normally have winter plumage?

Keith (confusing having another Keith).

Post-breeding moult starts late July and is complete by November according to BWPi, and includes all the feather tracts, primaries are shed simultaneously so the bird is flightless for a time around August - September.

Pre-breeding moult starts November and complete by March, this is partial only the head, throat and neck feathers being replaced.

So the answer is that the classic winter plumage is only around for a short period of time, the bird is either moving towards it if seen before November or away from it if seen post November

Just checked in Id guide to European non-passerines and it gives figures of 5% of birds retaining winter plumage into the breeding season

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back