• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to Stay in Pollensa (1 Viewer)

Jeff Hopkins

Just another...observer
United States
Hi all,

I'm thinking about a few days in Mallorca next May, and am starting to investigate where to stay. Most trip reports I've read talk about staying at the Pollensa Park. It seems big and resort-y. My impression is that's where birders stay when they need to give the wife and kids something to do while they go off birding.

Since i'll be travelling alone, I was wondering if there were better options for a solo traveller. I'll probably hire a car, so someplace with parking or access to free parking would be best. I'm not a self-caterer. But I don't need to stay in town since I could probably drive in for dinner. And the beach or pool is not really necessary either.

Any recommendations from the experienced travellers here would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Jeff

I would have thought most coastal accommodation is 'resorty' it depends on what level it is?

If you search for inland accommodation or places like Soller it is likely to feel less so. If you have transport then you can drive to birding places. I stayed @ Alcudia this year for my first visit and altho the hostel was fine i was on foot and hired a bike or used the bus to bird the coast and it is inevitably 'resorty' because it is. I wo'nt stop there again as i like to try my Spanish out rather than, as sporting Ziess 'bins all the time, being grouped with the Germans;).....of which there are lots.

Porto Pollensa had a lighter touch to it and is on the bus route but closer to some nice areas.

I am a Majorca newbie so others can post advice with more experience.

Laurie:t:

Hi Jeff,

Wouldn't really class Puerto Pollensa as 'resorty', its definately low key compared with Alcudia.
I've stayed at the Pollensa Park, & found it perfectly adequate, but i tend to stay further round the bay at Playa du Muro, as its quieter than Alcudia, & you're on the doorstep of the Albufera reserve, with the advantage of being within walking distance for early morning visits before the crowds arrive.

Playa de Muro would get my vote also but as I travel with non birding family members,we now visit Puerto Pollenca,so everyone gets what they want from their holiday.The township of Pollenca Itself,may have what you want and Is less "Touristy" than the coastal areas and Is Ideal for getting to the bird hot spots.

The Hotel Polentia used to be the birders' favourite many years ago and is well positioned. Also consider the Uyal. If you like to spend plenty of cash there is the Hotel Sis Pins or the Illya D'Or.

Parking shouldn't be too much of a problem in PP.

As suggested elsewhere there are loads of hotels in Alcudia but these are very much family-oriented.

HTH

The Hotel Polentia used to be the birders' favourite many years ago and is well positioned. Also consider the Uyal. If you like to spend plenty of cash there is the Hotel Sis Pins or the Illya D'Or.

Parking shouldn't be too much of a problem in PP.

As suggested elsewhere there are loads of hotels in Alcudia but these are very much family-oriented.

HTH

I've stayed at the Uyal (on my first visit) and found it a bit basic and remote. I've also stayed at the Illa d'Or and found it was very nice indeed, with excellent food, but expensive (my wife is in charge of digs selection - I find the destination, she finds a place she wants to kip).

In between the two, both geographically and financially is the Hotel Daina, right in the centre of town at the start of the pine walk and handy for the Boquer Valley. I've stayed there about three or four times and my only complaint was that on alternate mornings the breakfast bacon was replaced on the buffet by hot dog sausages.

Strange, but true. Hot dogs, fried eggs and mushrooms? I don't know if they are still up to those tricks, since I last stayed there in 2004. I did make my feelings known at the time.

Hot dogs? OK.

No bacon? Not at all OK.

Last edited:
Thanks, all. These are good tips.

And I travel a lot in Asia, so I'm used to hot dogs and french fries at breakfast instead of sausages and hash browns. AFAIC it's better than kimchi and congee.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back