• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Bulgaria. (1 Viewer)

Ron Seymour

Bulgaria
I visit Bulgaria from time to time and have been keeping a record of my sightings in the area around Veliko Tarnovo. All of my records are made within walking distance of my base. I would be interested to know if there are any members of the Forum who have any familiarity with the avifauna of Bulgaria; it would be good to hear from any members with experience of my 'patch'.

If you wish the contact me by email I would welcome any feedback:
ronwrseymour 'at' gmail.com

Hi Ron and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news. I certainly know of at least one member who lives in Bulgaria and he may well pop in to talk to you soon.

Hello Chris
Thank you for the warm welcome! The area around Samovodene, near Veliko Tarnovo, is very beautiful with some lovely walks which are very productive from a birding point of view. On Friday 16th March I found a Long-legged Buzzard, no less than 7 black Storks, a Sombre Tit and 4 black Redstarts. The following day while out gathering wood I sighted a Crag Martin and a Hooded Crow, both of which were additions to my local list. I have seen five species here which have never been recorded in the United Kingdom! I cannot wait for the weather to improve and get out and discover more of the hidden secrets in this place.

Hi ya Ron and a warm welcome to you from across the pond :t: Hope you enjoy your visits with us.

Zdrasti Ron and welcome to BirdForum!

Pretty sure I'm who Delia had in mind! I tend to do most of my birding along the coast and when I do venture away it tends to be up into the mountains - Rhodopes, Rila, Central and Western Balkans mainly. With over 400 species of birds seen here you have plenty to work on!

Chris

To misquote Carly Simon Delia "You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you"! ;)

Serin seen this afternoon makes 286!

All the best,

Chris

3:)

Sooo.... you're more than half-way there then lad.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hello and welcome Ron. I spent eight excellent day raptor watching in the southern mountain areas with the help of a very good guide. It was a one to one just myself and guide. It was an amazing trip very special and one I will never forget. Bulgaria has so much to offer.

Hi Kits - thank you for your warm welcome. I have had a few great days birding in Hampshire with Spanish Sparrow (Calshot), Slate-coloured Junco (in the New Forrest) and White-throated Sparrow (at Old Winchester Hill) among the many memorable encounters. Best wishes, Ron.

Hi Barontan 2418 -thank you for the warm welcome and yes, Bulgaria is proving to be a haven for the birder. I am hoping to visit the Sreberna Nature Reserve in northeastern Bulgaria in April. I think that I will be able to see a huge diversity of species in this area which is located on the Via Pontica which, as you no doubt know, is one best migration routes between Europe and Africa.

Best wishes,

Ron Seymour

Hi Ron,

I've just stumbled across this thread and seen your latest posts about your walks around Samovodene. My wife and I have a house in the village of Zvezditsa, close to Varna, but only stay there in the summer. The house overlooks a wooded valley and we get a nice variety of species in and around the garden.

Another birder who lives nearby is Rob, who sometimes posts here under the name of BirdingRob. He has a house in a village on the opposite side of Varna.

My Bulgarian list is nowhere near as advanced as Chris's - I've just passed 200. I recently had good views of Three-toed Woodpecker (having only got glimpses before) and Capercaillie in the Rila Mountains, but dipped on Rock Partridge for the 3rd time - a painful experience.....

Chris, we really must meet when we come over in June, as you're just down the road.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Congratulations on the Three-toed Woodpecker (one that has eluded me so far!) and the Capercaillie!

It would be great to meet up! We're in Spain 'til the 10th for some friends' wedding (getting three days birding in the Ronda area in as a bonus!) but free any time after that!

Chris

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back