• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deer should be killed every year? (1 Viewer)

yes there's another way to do it. cull 20 million humans.

this would have the added bonus of allowing areas to be returned to forrestry.
we could use older more environmentally friendly methods of producing food, so every other species would be able to recover a bit and it would massively reduce our carbon consumption too. it's the most envoronmentally friendly method of actually saving other species in these islands

Yes, humans are the biggest problem, and wildlife have to put up with it :t:

We would never admit to it though - sadly!

Regards
Kathy
x

The idea of reintroducing lynx & wolf is an attractive one and may well work for the wilder parts of Scotland and perhaps elsewhere, but I'd imagine that most of lowland Britain, where many of the deer actually live, would be too densely populated for either predator to survive and even if they could do so the political opposition would insurmountable.

Yes, humans are the biggest problem, and wildlife have to put up with it :t:

We would never admit to it though - sadly!
Nonetheless, genocide is not an answer. The atmosphere of callous disregard for human life that is all too often to be found among comment(er)s on such topics is frankly disturbing, especially to outsiders. Quite apart from the hypocrisy that comes with it, because very few of those calling for the extermination of the human race are actually eager to lead with their own example.

Kathy,

It is not just the muntjac. One of the other introduced species is the Sika which is causing habitat problems on the South Coast and if it meets them will hybridise with the native red deer.

The introduced Chinese water deer is around too and there may even be the odd Pere Davids in out of the way places.

The Fallow were introduced but long enough ago to be regarded as native.

I suspect the 50% problem has come about because for some reason we stopped the deer management policy that was around years ago. Had that been around still we would been culling a lower percentage on a regular basis and it would have been a bigger part of the food chain. It is odd that we now have a population that most people accept is too big but at the same time there are deer farms being set up.

Hi Bob

Great to see you here :t:

I did not Siki was introduced at all - amazing what we all find out. The Chinese Water Deer, and so it goes on

It puts us in a different prespective of what Deer are really about in the UK, and most of all what they contribute towards our countryside.

I see that places like the New Forest and Epping Forest - the deer stocks are managed so how do they do it?

Interested to find out?

Regards
Kathy
x

Kathy

Are you sure about Muntjac in Aberdeenshire? There are very few records (if any) of Muntjac in Scotland. The Roe Deer is widespread in Scotland, even in urban areas, and the Sika and Fallow have been introduced and are patchily distributed. In the less densely populated area there are very large populations of Red Deer but I think that's all.

David

Kathy

Are you sure about Muntjac in Aberdeenshire? There are very few records (if any) of Muntjac in Scotland. The Roe Deer is widespread in Scotland, even in urban areas, and the Sika and Fallow have been introduced and are patchily distributed. In the less densely populated area there are very large populations of Red Deer but I think that's all.

David

Hi David

Yes, we have seen Muntjac in Aberdeenshire, though I am talking about 2006/2007 time. It was one sighting only. They are easily ID'd due to their size.

If i was on here as a member, I would have mentioned it as a ID for sure

I also should have mentioned the time zone, (as I have moved about a bit) in my lifetime - hard to keep up with the wildlife at times! LOL

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Hear hear. IQ test the population and eliminate the thickos. Or do you have a different set of criteria?

Oh dear.

Think you'll find that it's our leaders, intelligentsia and peoples of higher IQ that are responsible for most of the damage to the environment and the planet in policy making and inventing new processes, generally advancing human endeavour.

Have to agree with Sangahyando in their comments above.

This was dated 2009.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2009/06/17133414/4

"There are currently no verified records of muntjac in Scotland, but there have been a number of unverified records (between 1990 and 2000). The map in Figure 1 is from the National Biodiversity Network ( NBN) Gateway and shows the unverified records described above."

There are plans to keep Scotland a muntjac free area but it is also acknowledged that it may be too late.

Regards

David

People, don't say that deer are responsible for low area of forests in the UK. It seems that they are harmful, but this is not the reason of deforestation.

Last edited:
People, don't say that deer are responsible for low area of forests in the UK. It seems that they are harmful, but this is not the reason of deforestation.

you've missed the point on that one, they haven't caused the deforestation, we did, they are a large contributing factor to the complete absence of young saplings in many areas, of existing forest, to the point where no new trees are managing to grow to replace the ones which die in areas of actual real natural forest, (or as near to natural as we manage to achieve )

Nonetheless, genocide is not an answer. The atmosphere of callous disregard for human life that is all too often to be found among comment(er)s on such topics is frankly disturbing, especially to outsiders. Quite apart from the hypocrisy that comes with it, because very few of those calling for the extermination of the human race are actually eager to lead with their own example.

so how many children do you have, i personally have none and never will do, because this planet has too many humans on it. is it not our callous disregard for the human race which is the problem, it is people who hold your mind set callous disregard for every other species on the planet. if you think i'm wrong then explain the cause of the current rate of extinction. the reason that you think that way is probably understandable, but it still doesn't make it right

Last edited:
I'm going to weigh in on this. I'm not a deer expert, nor am I in favour of culling the human population, but I have seen the fallow deer numbers in my immediate area go from none to a herd of about 50 over the course of 35 years. I see them daily from my house and they come into the garden to feed and it is a delight at times; I watch the rut and their social antics. But there is damage to the woodland understory through browsing and grazing and it is particularly noticeable to me that Nightingale habitat is being damaged. I don't hear as many Nightingales as I used to. Sussex is not only one of the most populous counties in England but also one the most wooded so there is plenty of habitat the deer find to their liking.

The idea of reintroducing lynx & wolf is an attractive one and may well work for the wilder parts of Scotland and perhaps elsewhere, but I'd imagine that most of lowland Britain, where many of the deer actually live, would be too densely populated for either predator to survive and even if they could do so the political opposition would insurmountable.

What John says is obviously true. Lynx and wolves in Sussex is not going to work. As much as I like seeing deer their numbers have become too great and I would be in favour of a limited and controlled cull; there are just too many of them and they are adversly affecting the wider habitat. There are just no natural predators and it has been pointed out earlier in this thread that if their numbers continue to increase their food supply will decline, eventually causing starvation.

Of course the venison should enter the human food supply; it is a healthy source of protein. It would be wrong for it to go to waste.

This is just my opinion, admittedly based on limited anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:
so how many children do you have, i personally have none and never will do, because this planet has too many humans on it.
I'm sorry, but that's an insane standpoint. Why would you deny yourself the most natural of desires, to procreate and watch your descendants grow up?
The answer to human overpopulation is not to stop having children altogether, which is completely unnatural and also useless, because other people will have them nonetheless, probably even more. You have to entice people on a global level to have fewer children, like one or two, and care for them, as in getting them a good education. Instead of having twelve feral kids, most of whom would scrape by on humanitarian aid.

is it not our callous disregard for the human race which is the problem, it is people who hold your mind set callous disregard for every other species on the planet.
How do you know what my mindset is? If I disregarded other species, I wouldn't be here. I'm merely saying that genocide is not a good idea and that self-genocide or ceasing to procreate is insane. I'm also pretty certain that people who choose not to have children will regret in when they reach old age.

if you think i'm wrong then explain the cause of the current rate of extinction. the reason that you think that way is probably understandable, but it still doesn't make it right
Sensible conservation policy, combined with the measures mentioned above, should do the trick. Oh and managing human introduced pests like feral pets.

Of course the venison should enter the human food supply; it is a healthy source of protein. It would be wrong for it to go to waste.
Indeed, and perhaps the parts not eaten by humans could be of use for zoos or similar institutions.

About re-introduction, the German experience so far tells us that Lynx are far less of a controversial issue than wolves, which is somewhat justified as they are less dangerous to humans, and even more secretive, than wolves. Provided there is suitable habitat, Lynx could be re-introduced in several parts of Britain. Don't know how effective they are in keeping down numbers of larger deer species, but they eat a lot of Roedeer.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back