• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (11 Viewers)

A great evening's moth-trapping yesterday (moth photos to follow) also produced this year's first record of Tawny Owl - both male and female heard calling into the small hours of today.

This was followed by a very good morning - a worn male Redstart was feeding in the bushes of 'High Park' - i.e. the scrubby sloping pasture opposite Coney Meadow. This is the 100'th species recorded on the patch this year.

A Common Tern flew over along the Salwarpe Valley and an adult Hobby was being mobbed by crows between Salwarpe and Ladywood. Other species noted today included:

Sedge Warblers (5+ including juvs)
Reed Warblers
Lesser Whitethroats (2 between Ladywood and Salwarpe)
Common Whitethroats
Blackcaps
Willow warblers (adult and 2+ juvs)
Chiffchaffs
Ravens (2)
Sparrowhawk
Buzzards
Mistle Thrushes (7+)
Reed Buntings
Mute Swans (2 ads and 5 cygnets)
Rooks
Song Thrushes
Coal Tit (2)
Nuthatch
Treecreeper
Goldcrest
Pheasants
Grey Heron
Swifts, Swallows and House Martins
Kingfisher (Porter's Mill)

Among the butterflies were Common Blue, Peacocks, Commas, Speckled Woods, Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns.

Dragons included Southern and Brown Hawkers.

A selection of moths trapped last night (hope I've got these right)8-P:

1. Elephant Hawk Moth
2. Drinker
3. Black Arches
4. Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
5. Blood Vein

Attachments

• Elephant Hawk Moth.jpg
    Elephant Hawk Moth.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Drinker.jpg
    Drinker.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Black Arches.jpg
    Black Arches.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Lesser Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing.JPG
    Lesser Broad Bordered Yellow Underwing.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Blood Vein.JPG
    Blood Vein.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 58
And more:

6. Blushing Maiden
7. Common Carpet
8. Dusky Thorn
9. Flame Shoulder
10. Small Rivulet

Attachments

• Blushing Maiden.jpg
    Blushing Maiden.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 59
  • Common Carpet.JPG
    Common Carpet.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Dusky Thorn.jpg
    Dusky Thorn.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Flame Shoulder.JPG
    Flame Shoulder.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Small Rivulet.jpg
    Small Rivulet.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 68
And a few more:

Many thanks to the guys for their very educational evening. :t:

11. Ruby Tiger
12. Scorched Carpet
13. Southern Wainscot
14. Lime Speck Pug
15. Pale Prominent

Attachments

• Ruby Tiger.jpg
    Ruby Tiger.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Scorched Carpet.JPG
    Scorched Carpet.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Southern Wainscot.jpg
    Southern Wainscot.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Lime Speck Pug.jpg
    Lime Speck Pug.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Pale Prominent.jpg
    Pale Prominent.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 51
Birds seen today included Garden Warbler (by allotments) and Lesser Whitethroat.

A Grass Snake was seen in Coney Meadow but too quick to photo.

Also a Muntjac was by the allotments.

Below is a photo of a Vapourer moth (seen on cherry trees in Droitwich Woods).

Attachments

• Vapourer.jpg
    Vapourer.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 54
Male Crossbill just circled low over coney meadow and landed in Droitwich Community Woods then it or another flew back along canal towards Salwarpe. Calling constantly, at one point it was so low I could make out the crossed mandibles.

A Hobby was hunting Dragonflies over 'High Park' this evening.

Also five Grass Snakes of various sizes and lots of small froglets and toadlets.

Glow Worm Report

I sent the attached report to relevant staff at Worcestershire Wildlife Trust this morning.

Hopefully, future management of this reserve will be more sympathetic in future and the Glow Worms will continue to thrive. (Opens with PDF - Adobe Acrobat)

Attachments

• Glow Worms near Droitwich Spa - a Semi-quantitative Assessment of their Distribution and Numbers in
    1.4 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I sent the attached report to relevant staff at Worcestershire Wildlife Trust this morning.

Hopefully, future management of this reserve will be more sympathetic in future and the Glow Worms will continue to thrive. (Opens with PDF - Adobe Acrobat)

Very nice, thorough and informed piece of work Dave, well done mate :t:

last night

just some quick photos before they bolted ,of the snakes from last night.
More Importantly a perfect informative piece of infomation on the Glow Worms,well done Dave

Attachments

• 15.8.13 001.jpg
    15.8.13 001.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 15.8.13 002.jpg
    15.8.13 002.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 15.8.13 003.jpg
    15.8.13 003.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 68
Hummingbird Hawkmoth at Porters Mill right next to the mill itself plus another Clouded Yellow nearby. The migrant lepidoptera are out in force.

A female-type Redstart was catching flies along the hedge opposite Coney Meadow this evening (High Park area).

Four Cormorants flew west - the first I've seen in the area for a while.

Also seen today:

Garden Warbler in Droitwich Woods (near the 'thicket'), Reed Warblers, Sedge Warblers, singing Willow Warbler, Kingfisher, a family party of Whitethroats (adult and 3+ juvs), Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Stock Doves, Goldfinches, Greenfinches, Green Woodpeckers, 2 Ravens, Kestrel, Buzzards, Linnets, 2 Grey Herons, Mute Swans (2ad + 3juvs), Coal Tits, Rooks, House Sparrows, House Martins and Swallows.

Grass Snake, 2 Foxes.

Common Darters, Blue-tailed Damselfly, Southern Hawker.

Very good day for butterflies - as well as those already mentioned for today, loads of Small Tortoisehells, Common Blue, Speckled Woods, Peacocks, Large and Small Whites and Gatekeepers.

Last edited:
For interest, please see attached full list of moth species from the recent moth trapping session.

Attachments

• Moth Species List Coney Meadow Reedbed Res as of 210813.xlsx
    17.1 KB · Views: 75
For interest, please see attached full list of moth species from the recent moth trapping session.

Is it the first year that there has been trapping done? I'm very much a beginner, but there looks to be some good ones for the habitat.

Is it the first year that there has been trapping done? I'm very much a beginner, but there looks to be some good ones for the habitat.

Yes Mary - first time the site has ever been mothed. Hopefully, there will be many future sessions on site. I think they said they got quite a few target species on the night. 100 species in one session can't be too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back