• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frustration! (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
Well, September has to have been one of the most frustrating months on record for me!
We’ve been surrounded by good birds all month. Harry Hussey’s mob have had a plethora of American waders and a good lot of scarce warblers, the west coast of the UK has had waders and warblers coming out it’s ears.
Now this week there’s a Yellow-browed Warbler on it’s 3rd or 4th day at Barrow-in-Furness - we can almost see the exact location from Point of Ayre. There’s a further 2 YBWs at Hoylake on the Wirral and the Irish Sea islands (apart from this one) have had Wrynecks galore and god knows what else!
All this stuff must fly right over us!
What’ve we had? A juvenile Rose-coloured Starling (aptly nicknamed Fawn Yawn).
This weekend promises to be good with winds from the north, but you can pretty much stake your life on it that we’ll get nowt! So much for island birding being good!
Stroll on 11th October when I head down to Cornwall for a week.
Sorry, just had to have a bit of a whinge.

Well I would feel sorry for you but you did get a Steppe Grey Shrike earlier this year so this slightly deflects much of my pity :)

You realise what will happen when you go to Cornwall don't you? Eye-browed Thrush, Siberian Rubythroat on IOM.

E

Don't worry, there are goodies in Cornwall waiting for you. I have been following Cornwall on Birdguides and there's plenty if you are on the tip of Cornwall.

Hi Andrew, I've been following Cornwall closely too and it has some good stuff - no 'ticks' but lots of good scarce birds. We're heading right down to far western tip of Cornwall (Nanquidno etc) so I'm sure to get a bit of relief from the tedium up here.

Aha, Andrew that may well be, but I reckon Chris would much rather have a goody on IOM than in Cornwall. Once you start keeping a list for the area in which you live it can get pretty obsessive. Tell me about it. When I was in England in September there were Greenish and Arctic Warblers on the east coast, both potential lifers and birds I really want to see but I couldn't be bothered to fight through the M60 traffic to get there. However, if they'd been in Iceland I'd have been there like the proverbial sh*t off a shovel. All rare birds are great, some greater than others but those on your doorstep the greatest of all.

Enjoy your trip to Cornwall.

E

Edward said:
All rare birds are great, some greater than others but those on your doorstep the greatest of all.

Enjoy your trip to Cornwall.

E

Thanks Edward, you've hit the nail on the head there.

I know that too well, as I have seen quite a few Hen Harriers and they do please me but when I found one gliding over my extreme local patch (the canal) I went bonkers!

Chris,

As far as I know there has been one YBW on the whole Cumbria - Lancashire coast (though Cheshire has done rather better). Other than that a Melodious Warbler and that is about it. So whilst Ireland may give you reason to be envious your RC Starling would be very welcome over here.

Stephen.

I notice that the far tip of Cornwall (Sennen especially) is getting better covered by birders in the last few years. Looks like it could overtake Scilly?

Tally off Birdguides for the last few days in Northumberland: 16 Yellow-browed Warblers:
Tynemouth 4
Whitley Bay Cemetery: 2 (inc the one I saw)
Low Newton: 1
Bamburgh: 2
Farne Islands: 3
Holy Island: 4

But what's been REALLY frustrating - Citrine Wagtail (which would be a lifer for me) . . . . . guess where? Yep, on the Brownsman, Farne Islands. No landing permitted. :-C

Michael

Give it a couple of months and one of our roosts will have up to a hundred birds coming in each night!

Hi Michael,
I'll swap you one of my Citrines if you have a Booted Warbler to spare...!;-)
Harry H
P.S.NOTHING doing along the south coast here since last weekend:all the action has been in Donegal!Radde's Warbler on Tory yesterday,but thankfully I've seen one in Co.Cork.

Hi Harry,

Wish I did! - I've only ever seen one, and that was down south (Hartlepool). All the Northumbrian Booteds (just two !) have been on the Brownsman as well. There was also one down south yesterday in a private garden in Whitburn (Durham) but no reports today (if it is refound, and access is arranged, I'm going!)

Could spare a Hume's Warbler or two if you like, I've had several of those over the years

Michael

Hi Michael,
Had heard about that Whitburn Booted:know exactly who found it too,long story....;-)
May accept a Hume's Warbler in exchange,we haven't had one in Ireland yet!
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back