• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Efficiency of non fluorite Kowa lenses on old 821 & 822 (1 Viewer)

yves0071

France
Hello,
I would like to know if anybody can report any artefacts & chromatism problems on old Kowa 821 & 822, the one which do not have fluorite lenses. Is there a majour difference (visually, not for disgiscoping).
I do not know of theses old scopes have a anti chromatism treatments on lens instread of having a fluorite lens on 823 & 824.
Any comment is welcome !
Regards
Yves

Yves,

I wish I could help you with a few comparison comments but I have never tried a comparison of these two scopes.

One of your comments though struck a chord with me. It has been my understanding that the type of coatings utilized on any optic have no affect on the level of chromatic aberration (color fringing) present within the image. The overall optical design of the scope coupled with the quality/type of glass utilized are the primary issues that lead to "CA" in the image.

Again, that is assumption that I have always operated under based on personal experiences. Maybe one of the other, more technical, individuals that post here could advise one or the other.

One example would be some of the older, vintage porro prism binoculars I have owned. Many of them had fairly primitive single layer coatings and yet many of those same models displayed literally no, noticeable CA in the image.

Just something to think about.

Thanks Frank for your point of view and experience.
Thir question came because I found the difference with non HD Swarovski scope and in particular with AT80 Habicht compared to other CA lense treated scopes. Not always, but in particulary when I was looking white egret, at maximum magnification.

Any other point of view?
Regards
Yves

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back