• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madeira (1 Viewer)

I went in August rather than December but as no one has replied to you yet I thought I'd let you know where I saw the resident species as they will presumably still be around - I have left out the more familiar UK species, migrant waders & species seen on the pelagics (the latter being the main reason for my visit, aside from the endemics):

Ponta de Sao Lourenco - local sub-species of Common Buzzard & Kestrel, Azorean Yellow-legged Gull, Plain Swift, Berthelot's Pipit, Rock Sparrow, Atlantic Canary;
Machico - river & harbour - local sub-species of Grey Wagtail;
Lagoa de Lugar de Baixo - Cattle Egret, Common Waxbill;
Monte / Quinta Gradens (Funchal) - local sub-species of Sparrowhawk, Madeira Firecrest, Spanish Sparrow;
Ribeiro Frio / Balcoes / Faja de Nogueira - local sub-species of Blackcap & Chaffinch, Trocaz Pigeon;
Ponta do Pargo - local sub-species of Linnet;
Paul de Serra - local sub-species of Spectacled Warbler.

Last edited:
There are of course birders resident on Madeira who would know the December scene. The Windbirds people might be helpful. Anyone on Birdingpal?

Steve

Some birders avoid Peak Season from end of Augsut to middle of September.
The want to see rarities instead of count many birds.

Even no Information about december, the Information from Michel de Lange is very good.
https://www.dutchbirding.nl/gallery/detail/1290

I watched together with Rebel Kees.
He is still in Porto Moniz.
http://www.trektellen.nl/count/view/338/20161019

Good accomodation is Hotel Salgueiro in Porto Moniz.
Seabird watching is possible from terrace of the Hotel.

Officially is booked out.
Send them an E-Mail and You will get a room for sure.

I went in mid March this year. I was attending a conference so didn't have too many opportunities for birding but managed to connect with some decent stuff.

Around Funchal - Atlantic canary, Kestrel, buzzard, plain swift, YLG, cory's shears, gannet (quite rare, apparently), roseate tern, common and bottlenose dolphins, and Mediterranean monk seal just outside the harbour.

I also spent a day walking levadas in the west of the island. Chaffinch was quite easy high up (and the males were just sensational looking...) and I got the firecrest too. I had a spectacled warbler singing above Ribeira de Janela, and also had Trocaz pigeon on the cliffs somewhere along the north west coast. Apparently during the winter they are harder to see in the laurel forests and can spend time at lower altitude feeding in agricultural areas. The ones I saw were practically at sea level.

Thanks to one and all, I will make a list of places to visit. When I am dragged into Funchal I will leave the better half shopping while pop into the park.
Once again many thanks kind regards Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back