• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Madeira (5 Viewers)

dandsblair

David and Sarah
Supporter
We have 8 days in Madeira just after Easter. A couple of questions.

Does anyone have experience of the Thursday night Zino Petrel tour? Is it worth doing as there are spaces when we are there.

Is Palheiro Gardens still the easiset place to connect with the Pigeon, Firecrest and Chaffinch?

thanks

Last edited:
All three are easy in Palheiro gardens.
I didn’t bother with the night tour -I suspect it is as others say. I did sleep with my windows open and heard some weird call one night, I don’t recall what it sounded like but it could have been ZP or Cory’s perhaps.
Check the Windbirds website for likelihood of seeing them at sea in April, I saw double-figures in June.

We have 8 days in Madeira just after Easter. A couple of questions.

Does anyone have experience of the Thursday night Zeno Petrel tour? Is it worth doing as there are spaces when we are there.

Is Palheiro Gardens still the easiset place to connect with the Pigeon, Firecrest and Chaffinch?

thanks
Monte palace gardens for firecrest and chaffinch
The Zino night tour will get you silhouettes and calls (one skimmed my head 😳) and the hike back to car park was (k)nackering !
The only place I got the pigeon was on one of the Madeira windbird tours (who are great btw) to the east of Funchal at the Sao Gonçalo headland

I didn't go to the gardens, but I did the night tour for petrels. I went on/near a full moon and thankfully had cloudless skies. In addition to hearing them frequently, I saw them fairly often, some surprisingly close. I also went on the windbird tours and saw them there.

For anyone interested
Pigeon, Chaffinch and Firecrest were all seen and photographed at Palheiro Gardens but not too difficult at this time of year in most places we tried
We were glad we did the Zino's Petrel trip, we were only ones on the trip, so Sarah's worry about keeping up on the walk back were not valid as we took our time.
The moon was very bright with a halo / ring, something Hugo and Katarina hadn't seen before, it gave us good light but meant we had to walk a bit further and the birds didn't start calling and showing until 11pm but we did get some really good views and lots of calling

Attachments

• d chaffinch.JPG
    11.4 MB · Views: 6
  • firecrest mad.JPG
    firecrest mad.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 12
  • madeira firecrest.JPG
    madeira firecrest.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 12
  • trocaz pig tree.JPG
    trocaz pig tree.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 12