• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help to identify please? (1 Viewer)

scubadivermatt

Hi everyone. This is my first post so sorry if it’s in the wrong section. I saw a raptor today (North Norfolk) that was unfamiliar to me. Pics attached - could this be a hen harrier? Or a honey buzzard? I’m no expert so I may be way off but I can identify most common birds of prey and my first thought was ‘that’s not a bird I know...’. It was largely grey and white, not clear in the photos. It was feeding on roadkill. Thanks for your help.

Trying to attach a pic!!

We’re not far from Wells. (Quickly Google’s a pic) Yes, could be that. Is the pic attached now?

Attachments

• FDE79E6D-E759-488A-AAD9-1C54AD1F242F.jpg
    FDE79E6D-E759-488A-AAD9-1C54AD1F242F.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 691
Pathetic, why? It’s the same bird. I’m happy to send more if you like? Stills taken from a video. You should not be so disparaging of an honest request.

Thanks richardm, not least for the sensible answer. I saw this between Bircham and Syderstone so exactly in the area you’re referring to. So a buzzard then...

I'll just ask some questions here to clear it up. One, in fact. There is a main difference between CB and RLB, which is in the name. Were its legs feathered to the talons? It is called rough-legged for a reason. Birds like that have feathered legs. Take a look at the image I have attached. If it had legs as feathered as that, pay attention to the area circled in red, everyone here is wrong, and it is a RLB 100%. If that area is not feathered, it is 100% CB. It is that part of the body, not the colour, which identifies the bird- I have seen aremarkably buzzard-like RLB near Waterbeach quite recently. Did you manage to see that? Because from what I see it does have very feathered legs, but that can just be lost in the pixel soup. Cannot see any yellow skin on the legs, though. Looks like a RLB to me, but I need more information to suggest what it is.
F.Y.I, Prestj and bernie b, you are being extremely and exceedingly disrespectful. I was never insulted for images about a thousand times worse. Don't know what this is on about.
See image below- was this close to Wells, perhaps? And if you look carefully it looks like one and the same bird.

Attachments

• 32066310183_0661623fd8_o.jpg
    32066310183_0661623fd8_o.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 176
Isn't the fact that the tail shows no white more indicative of it being a CB?

I don't think so. Feathered legs, which is what I am seeing === rough-legged buzzard. Colouration has nothing to do with it- I once saw a CB which looked so much like a long-legged buzzard I thought it was that despite it being incredibly rare in Moscow oblast until someone pointed out that dimensions don't match. Here, the clue is in the name. It all depends on whether or not a buzzard is 'rough-legged'. After that, almost any colouration is possible- take a look at the Collins Bird Guide page on RLB and CB and steppe buzzard to confirm this.

I believe that the response from bernie b was directed at the inappropriate response from Prestdj, not at the original poster.

It is best to just report abusive posts using the little red triangle at the bottom of the panel at the left of the post, which has been done.

The pic at lower right is a different bird, no carpal patch, no contrast between dark secondaries and paler dark underwing coverts and no pale 'hand' either.

I don't agree as it seems the bottom right picture is showing the upper side of the bird as it climbs away from camera, with some strong sunlight on it, as opposed to underparts. I only noticed on second look.

Edit/PS - fwiw I am certain it's a common buzzard. 'Mayoral chain' shows in the left pics (and the un-feathered tarsi are just barely visible). Not sure if we should be able to see RLB tail band from any of these angles?

PPS - admins please move to ID Q&A forum?

Last edited:
I don't agree as it seems the bottom right picture is showing the upper side of the bird as it climbs away from camera, with some strong sunlight on it, as opposed to underparts. I only noticed on second look.

You could be right, I assumed we could see legs but it seems to be the lighting.

Edit: Perhaps the mods could move this to the ID forum?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back