• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leach's Storm-petrel in the Mediterranean Sea ? (1 Viewer)

a friend of mine rescued recently one on the Mediterranean coast near the town of Tétouan.
That's an interesting record, Mohamed. I see that Thévenot et al 2003 (Birds of Morocco) mentions several stranded near Tangier after major westerly Atlantic storms in the 19th century, and one modern record in the Straits (4 beached near Tangier in Dec 1973), but no records from the Mediterranean coast of Morocco.

Richard

PS. Have you heard anything about the report of 2x Numenius tenuirostris Slender-billed Curlew at Merja Zerga on 20-23 Dec 2009? - it must be <100km from your location.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks Richard. Yes as you said I checked Bird of Morocco and I found that the species is recorded only near Tangier (the strait area) and along the Atlantic coast. I checked also the Bird of Western Palearctic (CD Version 1998) and found no records in the Mediterranean; I suppose that the records you mentioned (in Balearic Islands, Italy, Malta, Egypt, Israel and Lebanon) were recorded from the 1990s onwards.
For the SBC, I have heard what is now circulating in forums but I asked a friend resident there and he didn’t confirm that, I didn’t go there myself as I heard the news somewhat late.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back