• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (1 Viewer)

Glen Tepke

Oceanodroma
United Nations
Just posted three photos of Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Hydrobates socorroensis) to the North America gallery - new species for the Gallery and Opus as far as I can tell.

Thanks so much Glen, I'll go have a look.

It's very much appreciated lad.

You're welcome. Happy to be able to help complete Opus.

I was going to post a question about tags to another thread, but might as well do that here. My understanding is that the Opus search for photos searches the title, description and tags fields of media, but not the scientific name field, so I tried to add the scientific name to the tags for those 3 photos, but it didn't work. Several times I copied the scientific name into the tags field and it would appear for a few moments, then disappear before I saved the photo - the tags field would spontaneously revert to being blank. I tried again and quickly saved the photo before the tag disappeared, but the tag still did not appear on the post - the luggage tag icon says None. I don't know if quotation marks are required around two-word tags, so I tried with and without quotation marks and neither worked.

Then I tried clicking the luggage tags icon, adding the tag, saving, and it still says None. Finally I tried clicking the black "Add note/tag" button. The button text changed to "Stop adding note/tag" but I didn't see any place where I could add the tag. What am I doing wrong?

As a work-around, I added the scientific name to the Description, so the Opus search finds the photos.

Ooops!! Oh dear Glen... you simply need to add a comma after entering a tag. Alternately, if a drop-down list appears (will only do so if someone has entered the name in a tag on another image before); just select it and that should work. You do need to save afterwards as well.

You'll know if it has formed a tag, if it's enclosed in a box with a little cross on it. Clicking on the cross deletes it.

And yes, you're right, the search looks at the Tags, Title and Description fields.

Last edited:
Yes, that works. The tags field said "Multiple tags may be separated by commas." which I thought meant the comma is necessary only if I am entering multiple tags. Thanks.

Mmmm..... not looked at that for a while. Thanks for mentioning that Glen.

Maybe add it to Ollie's list of tweaks to do I think.

Another tweak Ollie might be able to take on is for the Opus photo search to search the scientific name field, either instead of or in addition to the tags field. Then copying the scientific name to a tag would be unnecessary, and I imagine the Opus search would find more photos because many users (including me until recently) neglect to put the scientific name in the tags. It seems odd that a search for the scientific name does not search the scientific name field. Maybe that is infeasible because of some coding baked into the software.

Fortunately we have a new Search format, which allows us to use all the scientific names (sometimes a bird has been moved three or 4 times) AND all the common and alternate names in the one search. So as long as at least one of the names is used in any of those areas (Tags, Title or Description) then the image should get picked up.

We're still working our way through all the articles trying to update the GSearches.... so if anyone out there reading this wants to give a hand with this job it would be appreciated.

What is the new search format you are trying to implement? I don't have the time to do a lot of Opus editing, but I could do a few entries.

Oh hi Glen... any help with this would be appreciated. When we migrated to the new platform some of the Gallery searches wouldn't work so we had to check them all. Then late last year Karol sorted out a new form of search which is a real game-changer and we can now have all the scientific names and all the common and alternative names in the one search, whereas the old one we could only have one, usually the scientific name!

So, the basic search is :

{{GSearch|"Coracias benghalensis" {{!}} "Indian Roller"}}

Note: each name is enclosed in double quotation marks; and between the scientific name and common name, an exclamation mark is surrounded by double curly brackets.

It is important to Show Preview, then click on the yellow Gallery Search banner and go through to see the first page (at least) of the results, to make sure it worked and doesn't pick up a lot of incorrect species.

If that's OK close the results, return to the Edit screen and enter this template underneath the coding

{{GS-checked}}1
<br />
<br />

This is so that everyone editing knows that the GSearch has been done, the figure 1 denotes that it is the new combined GSearch that is in use, so we don't waste time going in to check.

If you think there is something wrong with the results, just let us know and we'll look into it. There are some more complex forms for complicated ones, which we'll handle.

You can either pick a letter from the alphabet (maybe one of your initials). Pick your favourite genus or family, whatever takes your fancy. You'll find many done perhaps, but there's still many to do as there's now nearly 11,000 species articles.

This GSearch is how it looks when there are two scientific names and many common names in use:

{{GSearch|"Eumyias hyacinthinus" {{!}} "Cyornis hyacinthinus" {{!}} "Timor Blue Flycatcher" {{!}} "Blue-backed Flycatcher" {{!}} "Hyacinthine Flycatcher" {{!}} "Timor Warbling-flycatcher"}}

Don't let it scare you, it really gets easier once you've done the first one!

Don't let it scare you, it really gets easier once you've done the first one!
Agree.

I would like to add one thing: if you are working at a bird such as Common Bush Tanager which also can be named Common Bush-Tanager (notice the hyphen) then it would be best to have both forms included in the GSearch, which in this case looks like this
{{GSearch|"Chlorospingus flavopectus" {{!}} "Common Bush Tanager" {{!}} "Common Bush-Tanager" {{!}} "Common Chlorospingus"}}

Niels

Thanks for the instructions on how to edit the Opus Gallery searches. I have started to go through my old Gallery posts to add tags, update nomenclature, etc., so I will start with checking the Opus searches for those species. For the first few species I checked, the search had already been updated to the new terms; the first species I found that needed updating was Black-bellied Sunbird. I replaced the search with the new terms to search for "Cinnyris nectarinioides" | "Nectarinia nectarinioides" | "Black-bellied Sunbird". When I did the Show Preview to check the results, I noticed two issues - 1) the first photo in the Opus account by The Fern was not found, and 2) a few species other than Black-bellied Sunbird, including Dusky Sunbird, appeared in the results. I don't see anything in the search terms that would have caused those species to be returned by the search. Nevertheless, I saved my edits and checked the search again. Now the species other than Black-bellied Sunbird no longer appeared in the results, but the photo by The Fern is still missing. Not sure what to make of that, other than that the results of Show Preview do not necessarily reflect the results of the search after it is saved.

The main photo by @THE_FERN was probably directly uploaded to Opus; I couldn't find it in the Gallery as well.

a few species other than Black-bellied Sunbird, including Dusky Sunbird, appeared in the results. I don't see anything in the search terms that would have caused those species to be returned by the search. Nevertheless, I saved my edits and checked the search again. Now the species other than Black-bellied Sunbird no longer appeared in the results, but the photo by The Fern is still missing. Not sure what to make of that, other than that the results of Show Preview do not necessarily reflect the results of the search after it is saved.
While I don't know what exactly happened, is it possible that you might've missed a double quote at the very end?
https://www.birdforum.net/search/4928900/?q="Cinnyris+nectarinioides"+%7C+"Nectarinia+nectarinioides"+%7C+"Black-bellied+Sunbird&t=xfmg_media&o=date

EDIT:
You missed the quote after 'White-tailed Iora'!

So, you got:

("Aegithina nigrolutea" OR "Marshall's Iora" OR White) AND tailed AND Iora

'White-tailed' is two words for the search--it's treated the same way as 'white tailed'--so 'white' became part of the OR-clause because it was the first available word after the pipe preceeding it, while the dash between 'white' and 'tailed' was treated like a space (that is, '... | white tailed ...'), which is also equivalent to a plus (that is, '... | white + tailed ...') or a comma (that is, '... | white, tailed ...'), which is translated as 'AND' by the system ('... OR white AND tailed ...').

Similarly, the space between 'White-tailed' and 'Iora' gets turned into an AND. I put the entire OR-clause from the orange quote above in parentheses because it's processed by the search engine before the ANDs take effect.

Because of the above, the search returned all ioras that have the word 'white' and the word 'tailed' (or 'tail' or 'tailing' or 'tails' since the system is smart enough to tell that all four are forms of the the same word 'tail') somewhere in the description.

For example, Common Iora (Aegithina tiphia) has 'iora', 'white' and 'tail' in the description (by the description I mean the title and tags as well).

After you put the quote at the end of 'White-tailed Iora', I don't think you'd even need to exclude 'tiphia' from the results.
Similarly, the picture of Dusky Sunbird has words 'black' and 'belly' in the first sentence of the description:

Last edited:
I don't think I omitted any special characters from the search formula because 1) I just copied the whole formula from this thread and only replaced the names, and was careful to not overwrite the quotation marks, and 2) I didn't make any changes to the search terms after I looked at the Show Preview results and before I saved the edit, and the saved search terms work correctly.

I also don't get how the words black and belly appearing in the Dusky Sunbird description would cause Dusky Sunbird to appear in the search results. Don't the quotation marks in "Black-bellied Sunbird" mean search for that exact text string? If it means search for any of the words in the text string, then the search would return thousand of results of photos that have the word "black" in the title or description. And "belly" is not the same as "bellied."

It still seems to me that the search during Show Preview worked differently than after the search terms are saved, at least in this one instance. But all's well that ends well, so I don't think it's worth spending more time to try to figure out what happened. I'll let you know if I encounter this phenomenon again. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back