• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in the area Eastbourne, East Sussex (1 Viewer)

Ruud Jakobs

Birdwatching in the area Eastbourne, East Sussex,
question, from the Netherlands.

During my vacation, I am, a few days in Eastbourne
Visiting the, Eastbourne International Airshow 15th - 18th August 2013

Are there places I should definitely go ... for birding ?
Grateful for all your advice, tips and ideas.

Best regards,.
Ruud
http://ruudjakobs.zenfolio.com

Ps. Not sure if I place thos post, in the right topic,
otherwise, feel free to remove

Hi Ruud. I hope someone who lives in that area will reply, but just in case they don't ... I would strongly recommend Cuckmere Haven (the estuary of the Cuckmere river), which is about 10 km west of Eastbourne (you can get there on the 12 or 12A bus). And just to the west of that is Seaford Head, which can be very good for migrants. Enjoy your trip.

Hi Ruud,

I live in Seaford a few miles west of Eastbourne. I repeat from above that Cuckmere Haven is a good place to start though it can be slow at times. Easier access for a migrant watch is Beachy Head where the air show can be viewed from.

About 45 minutes (if driving) east of Eastbourne is Rye Harbour which is very good for Terns, Gulls and Waders.

Take your pick,

Cheers, Matt

Rudd
I'd say it would be worth the trip along the coast to the east.
Take in Hastings of 1066 fame, move on to Rye (29miles from Eastbourne) nice antique shops and Rye harbour is a nice bird reserve too. Then a little further along is Dungeness RSPB which is really worth the extra 12 miles or so (nice fish and chip lunch at the Pilot in)
Take time to visit the beach at Dungeness to couple of lighthouse, mini railway etc etc
have a good trip

Thanks,

for all the info,
due to change of plans, visiting North-Wales last week.

Managed, visiting Beachy Head today, a very beautiful place.
But between seasons ...

( Got the Lighthouses, there... )
I'll probably try again next year.

Again my thanks, for all the info
Cheers, Ruud
http://ruudjakobs.zenfolio.com

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back