• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parental care - which birds carry their young? (1 Viewer)

Dave Kennedy

This photograph was taken at Fort Augustus, Scotland, during a boat trip through the Caledonian Canal. Three cygnets are enjoying the comfort of a parent's back, and having a good sleep at the same time. I have since found out that grebes carry their young - and I know that male African Jacanas carry their young about under their wings. So far the common factor is water.

Any other comments or observations on which birds include personal transport as part of their parental care?

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• Mute Swan C4 052.jpg
    Mute Swan C4 052.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
I've seen other species of swan carrying their babies. and Jacana's and Grebes aswell. Don't crocodiles carry their youngs aswell? maybe it does have someting to do with water..

I've read that Eurasian Woodcock carry their young (in flight!) – but I don't know if it's true (“Shorebirds” writes: ‘can apparently carry’... so not too convinced either).

I've read that Eurasian Woodcock carry their young (in flight!) – but I don't know if it's true (“Shorebirds” writes: ‘can apparently carry’... so not too convinced either).

To carry them in flight would really be an achievement - hard to believe, but has anybody out there got an opinion?

Dave Kennedy

Great crested grebe can fly with chicks on the back for some time. Woodcock carry chicks between legs and tail. It was debated, but I read at least one published first-hand observation.

Also: South American finfoot male has sort of skin pouches under wing, when youngs are carried. It was discovered quite recently, if anybody knows details, I will be interested. :)

Great crested grebe can fly with chicks on the back for some time. Woodcock carry chicks between legs and tail. It was debated, but I read at least one published first-hand observation.

Also: South American finfoot male has sort of skin pouches under wing, when youngs are carried. It was discovered quite recently, if anybody knows details, I will be interested. :)

Thanks, Jurek (and everybody else)

Interesting, because South Africa also has a finfoot Podica senegalensis. I'll try to find out whether anybody has seen this kind of behaviour in the African Finfoot.
Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back