• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch Of The Lowes Osprey Webcam 2011 (1 Viewer)

I hope she was sitting on the eggs during the last hour - we've just had a hail storm!

D

It's so scary, watching the nest sway so much. Hope it's safe and she was well fed yesterday, 'cos I doubt there's much chance of her eating today! At least EJ's nest is still, though she'd got her head tucked well down.

Wednesday 25 May 5.45pm

What has Lady got in the nest - she is chewing bits off it, yet it is not a fish.
Is it some gale detritus which she now wants to eject from her bed?

Anyone else seeing this, I wonder? It looks very strange!

June

Eggs Hatching

Just a question. How long will our Osprey sit on the eggs if none hatch? Will she eventually get up and return to her regular routine for the rest of her stay here?

Just a question. How long will our Osprey sit on the eggs if none hatch? Will she eventually get up and return to her regular routine for the rest of her stay here?

In 2008 the nest in Manton Bay Rutland failed. The first egg was laid about 22nd April and they gave up incubating about 29th June.

So about 70 days from the laying of the first egg.

Wood's Hole ospreys in the USA were amazing last year. Only the male did his share of the incubation. The female never did any incubating. not surprisingly the nest failed. See Wood's Hole

The famous red tailed hawk Pale Male's nest failed every year from 2005 to 2010. They used to site for about a month after the expected hatching date.

Of course the amazing news last week is that Pale male is a dad again

Last edited:
Just when we are keen to have information, this happens!

We are very sorry to report that due to issues with reserve maintenance being carried out, we currently have no phone line, email access or webcam footage at Loch of the Lowes until further notice.

It seems to be a sad end at LoL this year.

June

Hi, I'm new here. Been watching the webcam - does this mean we won't find out what happens to Marge and her mate? How sad when this could be her last year here. Almost unbearable.

Hi llewis and a warm welcome to you on behalf of the Staff and Moderators.

It does seem very strange to have a complete shut down at this time of year. "Until further notice" sounds like it's a serious issue.

D

Outage at Loch of the Lowes

One suspects that this could be a politically motivated decision to avoid having to announce bad news.

But we're all half expecting it and it would be no cause for criticism, would it?

If Lady Marge has come to the natural end of her very productive and amazing life, we'd be the first to salute her.

I should like to see some memorial to her at the Centre, in due course.

June

One does wonder .

Hi all. Thanks for the welcome Delia. What a relief. The webcam is up and running again now. I too thought it must be something really serious. I agree that some kind of memorial should be put up at the Centre for her. What a wonderful and amazing bird. So moving to watch all the vids of her. I have never been to Loch of Lowes, or even to Scotland, but what a privilege it is to be able to watch via webcam. I watched what seems to have been her final flight last year, and wow, was crying my eyes out. So pleased to see her back this year, and even if no chicks come this year, she has been amazing.

i think the eggs failed because of weather conditions. Roy Dennis has reported other lost nests and eggs. Maybe because of a mixture of rotten cold and warm weather. In all my years of watching i have never seen so much grass growing in the nest. Surely a sign on humid damp weather. I really don't think it is a fertility issue. Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back