• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone tried "one-way glass" next to a bird feeder? (2 Viewers)

shiphen

Hello

Have any of you tried "one-way glass" on a window next to a bird feeder?

We have a holiday house in a remote location and we want the guests to be able to press their noses right up to the window without scaring away the birds.

Maybe one can get "one-way" plastic film...

Thanks

J

Not sure it'd be a good idea - from the bird's side it would look like a mirror, which would be an inevitable accident black spot with a high window strike rate.

If it is just for looking at birds, then just let the glass get very dirty, then the birds see it as solid they can't fly through. But that would also be useless for taking photos if that's what's wanted.

Otherwise, in general, keep the room inside fairly dark.

I've read of photographers constructing glass hides which were opaque from outside and non-reflective (i.e. ok for photography) inside - think it was Bence Mate in the 'Handbook of Bird Photography'.

Had a quick google, and found this: https://www.contravision.com/all-products/privacy-window-films/ - their 'perforated window film' might do the job.

Nutcracker makes a very valid point, even the above website which promotes window films note that their mirrored product increases bird strike risk.

Nutcracker's point is valid for one-way mirror finishes. I'm not sure how they work but what about one-way dark glass that you get on cars, that don't have a mirror finish?

The slight problem is that I imagine that inside the back of any such car it will be rather dark. And for anyone not interested in birds, don't want the window to darken the view of the outside world!

I don't know if it is technically possible to get a surface that genuinely lets 100% of the light through in one direction but none of the light through in the other direction.

Any thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back