• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you only had $300US... (1 Viewer)

kshea

You have $300 US.

What camera + adapter do you buy?

~K

Sony DSC-W7 + SRB (and take my wife to dinner with the leftover $$$)

I'd sell the Sony and buy a Canon S10IS with 20X zoom.

Sorry, I meant SX10IS.

Maybe I should explain more. IMO, 300$ won't buy you a scope with adaptor fit for digiscoping. You will probably take much better photos with a 20X P&S camera that you would with a sub-par digiscoping setup. It will also be much easier, lighter, etc and your percentage of keepers will be substantially higher. This bridge camera will produce surprising results that will be as good, if not better, than many of the digiscoping samples we see on this forum.

The only drawback is that you won't have a scope available for bird watching. I honestly feel this is the best you can do with your modest budget.

Last edited:
Scope wasn't part of the original question.

I just want to know what adapter/camera people would pick.

I use a Zeiss Diascope 85mm T FL, Canon 400D w/ the Zeiss Fotoadapter.

The adapter alone was $350 and the camera I bought off of ebay for the same price.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back