• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HELP USB Hub for Coolpix 4300 (1 Viewer)

cuddy

Brian Robson
As a newcomer to Digiscoping i took my first steps yesterday and now have a few pics to try and download to my computer.

The basic manual states not to use a USB hub, as i only have one USB port i had intended to buy a hub , can anyone tell me why a hub would be a problem ?as i thought they were just a multiple outlet.

In anticipation Brian.

Hi Brian,
I haven't seen any warnings against using a usb hub before with a digicam, maybe it's a power thing? I would presume it's o.k. to use a hub if you haven't got anything else running from the ports on the hub when downloading.
As ever, I'd recommend a card-reader to download images....but they still use usb ports.
Hopefully someone else can enlighten us to why a hub isn't recommended.
Regards and good luck with your new camera.
Andy

I use a hub myself and have never had any difficulties. I used to have the camera connected directly to the hub until I got a CF card reader. Now I just have that connected to the hub.

You would only have a problem if you ran lots of power-draining usb devices on the same hub. If you're sharing the hub with devices with their own power supply, or that are switched off, that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't use a hub and hadn't noticed the warning on my 4300.But I would reiterate the advice to use a card reader.It is easier and without one, I can readily see how the port on the 4300 could become damaged/worn with repeated use.

Ty all for replying i only have a scanner on my usb port, and also cant understand why i cant use a hub.

Your points about a card reader seems to indicate this is a method you all seem to prefer so i will investigate this further.

Grousemore i found the warning on page 29 of the quick start manual.

Ta all for your replies

Brian.

Perhaps the warning compares USB to Firewire (1394)?

Not used Firewire much, but USB is flakey; too dependent on operating system stability?

A hub, if it complies wth the USB standards, should be fine; the trouble may be that there are some hubs that may not comply; or - that the hardware you are connecting may not comply - with the standards.

If you have a modern PC (or MAC) and a PSU that is adequate; plug it into the machine; leave the hubs for mice etc.

Don't believe all they tell you!

Andy.

Again ty for all your help, talked to a guy at comp shop who also was puzzled but suggested it could be a power issue.

Anyway downloaded a few pics taken through my scope and i dont think i will be posting anthing soon on the forum, i have a lot to learn thats for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back