• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buying some binoculars for the wife (1 Viewer)

Good Day All,

I am looking at getting a pair of binoculars for my wife. I was looking at these two. She wants something light and that will last for 10+years.

Leica Silverline 8x42 or Zeiss Victory FL 8x42

Thanks,

Eric

At that price point neither will disappoint, it just comes down to which she prefers - assuming they are actually for her;)

Get the Leica Silverline. It will last 10 years with no trouble and still will be worth more money than the Zeiss because it will be a "collectible." BTW, I saw one in use. It is really a good looking binocular!

Bob

Eric:

I would recommend having her try out all of the top makes, and that includes the Nikon
EDG and the Swarovski Swarovision, the 2 newest and I feel at the top of the optics heap.

Personal preference does really count as they are all superb. The Leica Silverline would offer
the "bling" that may be important, to the Mrs. It depends on what features that are important to you both.
Have fun in the search, and let us know how it goes.

Jerry

Good Day All,

I am looking at getting a pair of binoculars for my wife. I was looking at these two. She wants something light and that will last for 10+years.

Thanks,

Eric

I think your wife if she is like mine would prefer a lighter binocular than a 42mm so I would get her a 32mm. The Swarovision is a little heavy at 29oz. being a 42mm although I think they are the best optics right now and I feel the best and lightest 32mm is the Zeiss FL so that is what I would get her. The Leica Silverline is not HD so it would have more CA than the Zeiss FL plus it is 5oz. heavier than the Zeiss 8x32 FL which is alot.

Last edited:
I speak as a user of Zeiss FL with a wife. Take your wife to a shop where she can try out the bins herself and let her decide. Whatever you decide, will be wrong.

Eric:

I would recommend having her try out all of the top makes, and that includes the Nikon
EDG and the Swarovski Swarovision, the 2 newest and I feel at the top of the optics heap.

Personal preference does really count as they are all superb. The Leica Silverline would offer
the "bling" that may be important, to the Mrs. It depends on what features that are important to you both.
Have fun in the search, and let us know how it goes.

Jerry

I just looked through a Nikon 8x32 EDG at Cabellas in Grand Junction and although they are very good they are not quite as stunning as the Swarovision 8.5x42.

Eric, What ever you do, do not let your wife read these forums, if you get the Zeiss FL series she will find out they have some astigmatism toward the edge, Leica some models had notchy focusers/ ? warranty and Swarovision the rolling ball.;)

My vote is for the Zeiss 8x32FL or 8x32EDG.

Eric, What ever you do, do not let your wife read these forums, if you get the Zeiss FL series she will find out they have some astigmatism toward the edge, Leica some models had notchy focusers/ ? warranty and Swarovision the rolling ball.;)

My vote is for the Zeiss 8x32FL or 8x32EDG.

She will also find out that they cost more than a good used car your kid will need to get to college!:smoke:

Maybe Swarovski could throw in a crystal chain that could be hung from the mirror of a junker though?:scribe:

Bob

I think I am going to bring her to a few stores and let her try some, There are just too many to chose from.

I do like the Swarovski, The Leica's are nice too I have owned a few pairs of them in the past and sold them for more then I paid for them. I think it would be nice to try a pair of Zeiss, my dad has a pair of Swarovski's but tells me he likes the Zeiss better (his friends own a few pairs of Zeiss). He is the one that sold me one of my pairs of Leica's after he bought the Swarovski's.

Thanks for all your feedback. It is a hard choice because we want to use these ones for a long time.

Thanks,

Eric

Good Day All,

Thanks,

Eric

Hi. There are lots of possibilities, and essentially any pair of modern binoculars will last 10 years with reasonable care. Before making any recommendations I think we need to know a few things. What will your wife be using the bins for. Is she an infrequent binocular user?

8x42 Zeiss or Leica bins are excellent instruments, but unless your wife has a particular need for such large bins I would suggest something smaller. For example, I got my wife a pair of 8x20 Swarovski bins that have done duty in the Amazon rain forest, birding in the USA and been used at the opera.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back