• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red-breast UK (1 Viewer)

Wizzle

Very poorly focused bird (Cheshire today) but looking at the clear orange breast and pale head - could it be colourful variant female Redstart?

Attachments

• redbreast.jpg
    redbreast.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 482
Not only is the breast patch a bit too orange but it's the wrong shape for Linnet. I'd expect it to be more of an inverted U. Lou's photo also appears to show a 'clearly' outlined pale throat. Whinchat for me. Was it at BMW / IMF?

Chris

Very poorly focused bird (Cheshire today) but looking at the clear orange breast and pale head - could it be colourful variant female Redstart?

It could be I guess. Some adult females (old?) show orange breasts and grizzled faces and the bird maybe shows a longish tail but...

Attachments

• Reajustado_DSCN4521.jpg
    Reajustado_DSCN4521.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 40
Whinchats are regular on fences during migration here. That would definitely be my vote on this horrific photo.

I realized I've seen at first Lou's version, then when Tib commented I've seen original version. Proof again that photos can lie, notably in colour.

My last opinion: I don't identify this bird!!!!!

No Chris, it was at Meols.

Still looks good for Whinchat - and it's been a good spring for them in the horse paddocks / Park Road area. They often 'crouch' when perched on the fence wires and the shape and colour of the breast as well as the impression I get of the head markings all seem to fit.

Chris

I know my OP pic is awful and makes id difficult but I do think there is enough detail colour-wise to rule out Linnet! First, Lou's enhanced colour version shows deep orange/red on breast yet I can't see any sign of red cap.

Second, I've attached a Linnet pic that I took nearby on same day, which I think (even allowing for difference in quality) demonstrates that P1 bird is unlikely to be Linnet.

I think I now favour the Whinchat camp based on the contrast between breast and the pale underside.

Oops - re p1 - can't believe I made this mistake as I'm very protective of this boundary; Meols of course is in Merseyside not Cheshire.

Attachments

• linnet.jpg
    linnet.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Do you take binoculars with you? As mentioned on the 'Redshank?' thread I think these discussions of 'challenging' pics would reach more meaningful conclusions if you could give at least some impression of what you saw in the field.

Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back