• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie question: 65mm Diascope vs cheaper 80mm... (1 Viewer)

frank and henry:

thanks for your posts, comments, suggestions and tests.

i have decided, somewhat reluctantly, to return the diascope, despite the fact in many ways it is an elegant, well-built, and emminently totable rig.

other considerations aside, i just prefer a more neutral presentation. i just couldnt get out of mind that view of a loggerhead shrike, awash in yellow. as henry correctly pointed out, having used the nikons for a year or so pretty consistently, it seems i may be especially sensitive to such color shifts, particular toward the warmer side of the spectrum.

65mm does seem the ideal compromise, though, in attempting to balance the equation between size and portability. i am now taking another, harder look, at the swar 65 HD also.

regards,
utc

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back