• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Garden List (1 Viewer)

foxwood

Like many other members I provide a varied selection of food for my garden birds all year round and enjoy watching them.

I am not a compulsive lister by any means but while watching the birds the other day I jotted down a list of the species I could recall seeing ( or, more accurately perhaps, identified ) in the garden up to now. In no particular order this is my list to date ...

01 blue tit
02 great tit
03 long-tailed tit
04 coal tit
05 woodpigeon
06 rook
07 carrion crow
08 jackdaw
09 magpie
10 greenfinch
11 goldfinch
12 chaffinch
13 house sparrow
14 wren
15 robin
16 blackbird
17 dunnock
18 nuthatch
19 starling
20 mallard
21 moorhen
22 collared dove
23 pied wagtail

Not that impressive is it :C and I know most members will be able to do a lot better! That said, I am always trying to attract new species by providing different foods, more feeders etc.

I should mention that I have only counted birds that have actually set foot in the garden as it were and not those seen flying over such as swifts, martins, herons, geese etc.

I live on a housing estate on the edge of a small town with farmland 5 mins walk away. I have lawns front and back with the usual flower beds, selection of shrubs and a few trees. Just over the road is a small pond ( hence the mallard and moorhen on my list! )

Other members are invited to provide their own list or total with perhaps a brief description of their garden and its location. I should be interested to know whether or not I should be including all birds seen from, or flying over, my garden rather than those landing, or is that cheating |:$|

I look foward to hearing from you all.

Mike

Last edited:
Here is my all-time garden list - it only includes those that have set foot in my garden area (including on the shed roof)!

1 Blackbird
2 Blue Tit
3 Chaffinch
4 Coal Tit
5 Collared Dove
6 Dunnock
7 Goldfinch
8 Greenfinch
9 Great spotted Woodpecker
10 Great tit
11 Herring Gull
12 Jay
13 Long-tailed tit
14 Mallard Duck
15 Magpie
16 Robin
17 Song Thrush
18 Sparrow
19 Sparrowhawk
20 Starling
21 Wood pigeon
22 Wren

My garden is fairly small, full of feeders etc, has lots of trees around and in the garden, and benefits from having an ancient woodland two houses away!

GS Wood + Sparrowhawk are new welcome additions to the list for 2007.

Claire

Hi Claire

You've got me envious now with your Jay and GS Woodpecker |:d| Both of them are lovely birds which I have seen but not in my garden. Well done!

Regards

Mike

your list !!

Hello Claire looks ok to me we have small garden and how lucky is for use we are on the river Ouse in Lewes and open country for some miles no large towns>> my overview on your reporting is that it is the takeing part which is important>> our watching goes from the Wasp Beetle to Buzzards and some-where in between is the rest the birding bugs Etc to long to list> as long as you are happy have a nice day..

:hi: David Vonmax

As I say the GSW is a recent addition - it has only been coming in for the past week or so to collect the fat cake on the bird table. He was here first thing this morning but was very disgruntled as the starlings have been nabbing all the fat and stuffing it into their noisy young! Garden has been a starling cocophony the past few days! SO many young! Fantastic! Time to go shopping for more fat ckaes - they love the RSPB ones with chopped peanuts and insects!

The Jay - we get a jay most winters coming in to take peanuts - it certainly helps having an ancient woodlnad on your doorstep with plenty of oaks etc in. Mixed deciduous and conifer in places too with wet areas inc ponds and streams so a nice mix! Haven't really yet explored in there too much as until March my birding was garden only. A trip to Minsmere changed all that and now I am exploring my local area, have bought a scope, always have my bins with me, have a duplicate field guide in the car just in case.... I've been bit by the bug! Very addictive!
TTFN
Claire

Up here in Bradford - our suburban garden but not far from some woods - this is my list compiled onward from last November:
1. bluetit
2. blackbird
3. dunnock
4. greenfinch
5. chaffinch
6. house sparrow
7. goldfinch
8. starling
9. wood pigeon
10. magpie
11. carrion crow
12. collared dove
13. feral pigeon
14. wren
15. jay
16. goldcrest
17. great spotted woodpecker
18. jackdaw
19. coal tit
20. robin
21. long-tailed tit
I've seen others flying over but don't count them if they don't land (black headed gull, kestrel, mallard) I'm particularly pleased with goldcrest - it just popped out of a conifer one day - never seen it again. The GSW visited us again yesterday ( a female this time - we have only seen the male before).

Hi Flippsy

Your list is similar to my own except for the GSW, Jay and the Goldcrest. Now that was special! :clap:

Mike

Last edited:
Hmm, i know i'll forget some but

Robin
Blackbird
Song thrush
Blue tit
coal tit
Great tit
Marsh tit
Long tailed tit
Chaffinch
Siskin
Greenfinch
Goldfinch
House sparrow
Dunnock
Wren
Goldcrest
Nuthatch
Treecreeper
Great spotted woodpecker
Magpie
Collared Dove
Woodpigeon
Jay

Hi there, I live in Birmingham, fortunately my local area nearby has scrub and coarse grassland, hedgerows, mature trees, wetland with several small ponds and a river.

These are the birds that have ever landed in my garden.

1) Blackbird
2) Blue Tit
3) Bullfinch (Spring Visitor)
4) Carrion Crow
5) Chaffinch (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
6) Coal Tit (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
7) Collared Dove
8) Dunnock
9) Fieldfare - (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
10) Goldcrest - (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
11) Goldfinch
12) Great Spotted Woodpecker
13) Great Tit
14) Greenfinch
15) Green Woodpecker - (Visited mature Cherry Tree before it fell down, it used to feed on the bark)
16) Hawfinch - (Used to visit mature Cherry tree, until it fell down)
17) House Sparrow
18) Jay
19) Long Tailed Tit
20) Magpie
21) Redwing (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
22) Reed Bunting (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
23) Robin
24) Song Thrush
25) Sparrowhawk
26) Starling
27) Tree Sparrow (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
28) Woodpigeon
29) Wren

Last edited:
Hi there, I live in Birmingham, fortunately my local area nearby has scrub and coarse grassland, hedgerows, mature trees, wetland with several small ponds and a river.

These are the birds that have ever landed in my garden.

1) Blackbird
2) Blue Tit
3) Bullfinch (Spring Visitor)
4) Carrion Crow
5) Chaffinch (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
6) Coal Tit (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
7) Collared Dove
8) Dunnock
9) Fieldfare - (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
10) Goldcrest - (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
11) Goldfinch
12) Great Spotted Woodpecker
13) Great Tit
14) Greenfinch
15) Green Woodpecker - (Visited mature Cherry Tree before it fell down, it used to feed on the bark)
16) Hawfinch - (Used to visit mature Cherry tree, until it fell down)
17) House Sparrow
18) Jay
19) Long Tailed Tit
20) Magpie
21) Redwing (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
22) Reed Bunting (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
23) Robin
24) Song Thrush
25) Sparrowhawk
26) Starling
27) Tree Sparrow (Autumn/Wintertime visitor)
28) Woodpigeon
29) Wren

That's a nice list. Some not so usual species there. I think you'll have to get that fallen cherry tree replaced, though! |:(|

Mike

Like many other members I provide a varied selection of food for my garden birds all year round and enjoy watching them.

I am not a compulsive lister by any means but while watching the birds the other day I jotted down a list of the species I could recall seeing ( or, more accurately perhaps, identified ) in the garden up to now. In no particular order this is my list to date ...

01 blue tit
02 great tit
03 long-tailed tit
04 coal tit
05 woodpigeon
06 rook
07 carrion crow
08 jackdaw
09 magpie
10 greenfinch
11 goldfinch
12 chaffinch
13 house sparrow
14 wren
15 robin
16 blackbird
17 dunnock
18 nuthatch
19 starling
20 mallard
21 moorhen
22 collared dove
23 pied wagtail

Not that impressive is it :C and I know most members will be able to do a lot better! That said, I am always trying to attract new species by providing different foods, more feeders etc.

I should mention that I have only counted birds that have actually set foot in the garden as it were and not those seen flying over such as swifts, martins, herons, geese etc.

I live on a housing estate on the edge of a small town with farmland 5 mins walk away. I have lawns front and back with the usual flower beds, selection of shrubs and a few trees. Just over the road is a small pond ( hence the mallard and moorhen on my list! )

Other members are invited to provide their own list or total with perhaps a brief description of their garden and its location. I should be interested to know whether or not I should be including all birds seen from, or flying over, my garden rather than those landing, or is that cheating |:$|

I look foward to hearing from you all.

Mike

How do you get rooks in the garden...i know theres alot in norfolk where i live but have to see one in the garden or outdoors generally.

How do you get rooks in the garden...i know theres alot in norfolk where i live but have to see one in the garden or outdoors generally.

I don't provide anything special to attract them. They are only occasional visitors and generally two of them at the most. I tend to get more magpies, carrion crows and to a lesser extent jackdaws than I do rooks but it's nice to see them when they drop in!

Mike

I most definately DO count birds that fly over my garden. Black Kite, Osprey and Little Egret are three that spring to mind! Not exactly Garden birds i know!

Mike

Hi Mike

I've just seen this thread. Personally when I list my garden list I include birds seen from the garden as well. People have different ways of counting but my situation includes open fields and woods surrounding my house. I watch from all the windows of the house and it seems kinda right to include what I see from the house. (But most of them have come into the garden on occasion anyway so feel it's right to include them.)

I notice you are 5 minutes walk from farmland and one specie that may be tempted that isn't on your list is yellowhammer, a common farmland bird I associate with hedgerows. They like feeding on the ground and maybe they could be tempted by some mixed seed on the ground. They are a bit busy nesting now (no sign of young here yet) but maybe later on in the year or over the winter when they may be short of food. I was delighted to have them actually in my garden as opposed to near my garden, earlier this year. They came to clear up all the spilled seed under a feeder hanging in a tree.

Good luck, most people would be pleased with that garden list.

Joanne

Just been to my friends house in Gorleston, Norfolk (yesterday) and saw a family of black redstarts out of the kitchen window!
Claire

Hi Mike

I've just seen this thread. Personally when I list my garden list I include birds seen from the garden as well. People have different ways of counting but my situation includes open fields and woods surrounding my house. I watch from all the windows of the house and it seems kinda right to include what I see from the house. (But most of them have come into the garden on occasion anyway so feel it's right to include them.)

I notice you are 5 minutes walk from farmland and one specie that may be tempted that isn't on your list is yellowhammer, a common farmland bird I associate with hedgerows. They like feeding on the ground and maybe they could be tempted by some mixed seed on the ground. They are a bit busy nesting now (no sign of young here yet) but maybe later on in the year or over the winter when they may be short of food. I was delighted to have them actually in my garden as opposed to near my garden, earlier this year. They came to clear up all the spilled seed under a feeder hanging in a tree.

Good luck, most people would be pleased with that garden list.

Joanne

Hi Joanne

I'm glad you include birds that haven't actually set foot in the garden. It means I can add a few to my list! |=)|

I'm surprised I haven't had a yellowhammer dropping in but maybe they wait until I've gone to work! They're lovely birds which I see when I visit a feeding station on Cannock Chase which isn't far from me. Nightjars are something of a speciality of the Chase and I'm hoping to see them this summer (they do guided walks at night) Now that really would be a garden tick!

Must go now and update that garden list!

Happy birding

Mike

You lots seem to have a FAB list....Although I have a good year list and life list my garden list is poor in comparison. I'm semi-rural, and I suspect (in fact I know) that the more "EXOTIC" species are in the woods where they should be.
Henstooth

You lots seem to have a FAB list....

And there's me thinking I wasn't doing very well o:D . As you say, your other lists are progressing very nicely and I'm sure they are longer than mine!

On another topic, Pete, I was reading one of your posts where you mentioned fat balls and those green net bags which, as you say, can lead to injuries. You probably already know about them but, just in case you don't, there are some good cage type feeders made by Gardman for their "fat snax" and are equally useful for home made fat balls, which is what I use. Here is a link to a web page showing the type of thing I mean ....

http://www.dobbies.co.uk/acatalog/info_N230006.html

They are widely available. I bought mine from the local supermarket. They hold 3 or 4 fat balls and stop them breaking up as they tend to when you try hang them up without any covering.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back