• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short review of the Hawke Frontier ED 20-60x85. (1 Viewer)

Binoseeker

Mostly using spectacles (myopic) with binoculars.
I ordered a Hawke Frontier ED 20-60x85 to see if it was something to have as a back up scope.

The scope is not parfocal, have to refocus when zooming.
Turning the zoom ep ring went smoothly.
The eye cup had no intermediate stop positions, just up or down.
The eye relief is specified to 20mm, I feel it is a bit less.
Specified close focus distance was 5m, I got around 11m.
Pretty good flat view.
Good sharpness to like 70% of the radius. The rest, 30% could get sharp while refocusing.
No CA at 20x, some CA at 60x.

At 20x, I could just get it into focus while not wearing spectacles, no problems at 60x.

Sun shade fits nicely, no excessive play.

The scope has no exterior rubber coating, I guess it is easy to damage it if not being careful. The stay on case supplied with the scope is needed.

The turn off was the slack in the focus ring, it was too much for my taste. There was some kind of ”bump” the focus ring passed over when turning it back and forth. It didn´t focus smoothly. The vendor from England said it was normal so I had to pay for the return of the scope myself.

Since that slack was normal, my interest of getting another scope to test, and pay for that shipping too, went out the window sts, and I stopped testing the scope further, and sent it back.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back