• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

vanguard 82a spotting scope my review (2 Viewers)

Prestdj

its good to be back
Ukraine
a chance find back in june 2023.......i paid just under £200 boxed with all accesories plus a vanguard tripod which was too small but took that apart and its now 3 hiking poles!

first impressions

well built and solid feel, being magnesium alloy
compact compared to my hawke endurance 85 ed

over the last few months ive only used it in the garden which has moorland views

took it to parkgate cheshire on saturday which given the postion of the sun made viewing hard but the vanguard gave me excellent views of a female marsh harrier sat on a post preening the whole image was sharp and bright even with the sun setting
the cold winter weather made using the zoom eyepiece up to 40x quite usefull watching egrets far out
i also found i didnt need to mess about with the dual focus and zoom eyepiece as i do with the hawke scope

pros

compact
sharp view
well built
eyepiece is bayonet with a nice click

cons

heavy 1.9kg plus i use my trusty manfrotto 055 original with 128 head so thats another 2kg, not a walking set up
sunshade just turns so makes the sighting notch useless
stay on cover is ok but just a bit rubbish

i reccomend this scope

Users who are viewing this thread

Back