• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (10 Viewers)

Woodchat

Any sign of the glowworms ?

We recorded them in Neath, South Wales last night whilst doing bat surveys.

It may be much warmer over there though, it is overseas after all!

Triturus

None so far but I haven't checked extensively. Will start my late night patrols in the next few evenings.

A Barnacle Goose flew over with 4 Canadas this morning.

Also recorded: 2 Lesser Whitethroats, Willow Warbler, juvenile Goldcrests, Coal tits, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Common Whitethroats, Kingfisher, Heron, 2 Grey Wagtails, Reed Warblers, Sedge Warbler, juvenile Blackcaps, Swifts, House Martins, Reed Buntings, Sparrowhawk.

3 Marbled Whites.

A Barnacle Goose flew over with 4 Canadas this morning.

Also recorded: 2 Lesser Whitethroats, Willow Warbler, juvenile Goldcrests, Coal tits, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Common Whitethroats, Kingfisher, Heron, 2 Grey Wagtails, Reed Warblers, Sedge Warbler, juvenile Blackcaps, Swifts, House Martins, Reed Buntings, Sparrowhawk.

3 Marbled Whites.

Possibly the bird that was at Upton on Sunday and Monday continuing it's journey south from Svalbard? ;)

Very quiet over the weekend.

Insect highlights: Emperor Dragonfly, Broad-bodied Chaser, Brown Hawker, Small Skippers, Large Skippers, Painted Lady, Marbled Whites, Meadow Browns and Ringlets.

2 Lesser Whitethroats amongst the usual warblers. Seems like the Cuckoos may have departed early.

FINALLY found a little owl!!!!!

Nice shot, Sarah - did you take it at Ladywood?

2 Glow-worms together on Gorsey Bank this evening (my first for the year) - pic below:

AND a nice 'Brucie Bonus' - a hunting Barn Owl over Gorsey Bank at 22:20 - it perched briefly in a tree then flew back towards the canal.

Attachments

• Glowworms Gorsey Bank.jpg
    Glowworms Gorsey Bank.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
A Siskin flew over Salwarpe calling this morning - there seems to be a light passage of these at the moment - it's the third I've recorded in Worcestershire this week.

A dead Water Shrew was on one of the paths - the first I've recorded on the patch - I'll post a photo of it later.

Other species recorded in 1 hour walk from ~05:45 - Lesser whitethroat, Common Whitethroats, Skylarks (4), Linnets, Reed Warblers, Reed Buntings, Stock Doves, Goldfinches (inc juvs) Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, 2 juvenile Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, G S Woodpecker, 12 Collared Doves, 2 Swallows, 3 House Martins, 30+ Swifts.

Some impressive wildife pictures

Some awesome photos on the forum recently.

Thought I'd add to this with a picture from my recent nocturnal encounter with a badger. I'm considering entering the Wildlife Photographer of the year.

Enjoy! 8-P

Triturus

Attachments

• Close up of badger at night.png
    Close up of badger at night.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 359
Some awesome photos on the forum recently.

Thought I'd add to this with a picture from my recent nocturnal encounter with a badger. I'm considering entering the Wildlife Photographer of the year.

Enjoy! 8-P

Triturus

Them's not badger eyes, woz you holding the camera the right way round??? 3:)

Nice shot, Sarah - did you take it at Ladywood?

2 Glow-worms together on Gorsey Bank this evening (my first for the year) - pic below:

AND a nice 'Brucie Bonus' - a hunting Barn Owl over Gorsey Bank at 22:20 - it perched briefly in a tree then flew back towards the canal.

Yeah :) So pleased I finally found them! Goes nice with my Tawny!

Highlights from this weekend:

Female Cuckoo at Porter's Mill yesterday.
Hobby hunting over High Park this evening.
Coney hirundine roost c 150 - mainly Swallows and about 10 Sand Martins.

Also: 2 Kingfishers, Grey Wagtail, House Martins, 2 Ravens, 30+ Swifts, Skylarks, Sparrowhawks, Buzzards, Linnets, Green and G S Woodpeckers, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Mistle Thrushes, Reed Buntings, Goldcrests and the usual Warblers.

A Grass Snake swam across the canal this afternoon - west of Salwarpe.

My first Gatekeepers and Essex Skippers (lots) of the year amongst the butterflies which included Red Admiral, Commas, Marbled Whites (5), Large Skippers, Small Skippers, Ringlets, Whites, Small Tortoiseshells and Peacock. Lots of Burnet Moths now emerged. Dragonflies: Broad-bodied Chasers, Emperor, Brown Hawker. Azure and Blue-tailed Damsels plus Banded Demoiselles

A record single-count of Glow-worms this evening - an amazing 22 in total - 3 on Gorsey Bank, 1 along the railway track and 18 between the allotments and the Roman Way.

Glow Worm Distribution

Approximate distribution of the Glow-worms yesterday evening:

Attachments

• Glow Worms 12-07-15 Approx Distribution.jpg
    Glow Worms 12-07-15 Approx Distribution.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 77
A Hobby flew in again to try its chances with the hirundines yesterday evening. 100 -150 Swallows and Sand Martins roosted.

A total of 21 Glow-worms counted last night - including at least 1 new one.

enjoyable evening, sightings BHG, LBBG & Herring gull, lots of goldfinch a few green and a Bullfinch. Similar amount of Swallows to last night, 14 pied wag in roost, green and greater spotted woodpeckers heard. church area best, grey wagtail on the way in and juvy Tawny Owls on the way out.

Attachments

• IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    656.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1626.jpg
    IMG_1626.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1627.jpg
    IMG_1627.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 46

A Hobby and 3 singing Yellowhammers around Porter's Mill on Saturday.

The Coney hirundine roost has now increased to ~250 (80%+ Swallows).

Common Darter, Southern Hawkers, Brown Hawkers amongst the Odonata. Essex Skippers and Gatekeepers are now abundant. Just one each of Marbled White and Painted Lady.

A whopping 35 Glow-worms counted last night - by far the greatest ever total and including at least 16 new ones.

A Hobby and 3 singing Yellowhammers around Porter's Mill on Saturday.

The Coney hirundine roost has now increased to ~250 (80%+ Swallows).

Common Darter, Southern Hawkers, Brown Hawkers amongst the Odonata. Essex Skippers and Gatekeepers are now abundant. Just one each of Marbled White and Painted Lady.

A whopping 35 Glow-worms counted last night - by far the greatest ever total and including at least 16 new ones.

It's great to read the glow-worms are increasing. Is their habitat there fairly safe? Or at least, as safe as anywhere is these days!

It's great to read the glow-worms are increasing. Is their habitat there fairly safe? Or at least, as safe as anywhere is these days!

Hi Mary,

Although the Glow-worm habitat isn't directly threatened at present, I am concerned that nearby housing developments (currently being built) could have adverse long-term effects on the future of this colony. When the developments are completed, there will undoubtedly be greater levels of artificial illumination as well as increased human disturbance (and antisocial activities) in the area. Just this Saturday afternoon there was an incident that I had to report to the police - a group of youths were riding motorbikes around Gorsey Bank - which, apart from anything else, presented a potential hazard to anyone walking in the area. They left a load of rubbish / beer cans in their wake. Sadly, I can't see this kind of thing reducing in frequency when 1000+ more people take up residence nearby.

I can only hope that the colony starts to spread to areas on the other side of the canal where it is generally quieter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back