• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice Please! (1 Viewer)

liz1966

Hi, This is my first visit to your forum, and I do hope someone can help me. We have a nest box occupied by Blue Tits. It is nailed to a willow tree. This morning I found it still attached to the tree but rotated round on the nail so it was hanging sideways. Some nesting materials on the ground below. I have righted it so that its upright again. The adults have been in and out all day replacing the nesting materials, so I am really hoping that whatever predated the nest was not entirely successful. What I would really like to do is pop a couple of nails in the tree either side of the box to stop it being spun round again. Is there a good time to do this or will it just be too disruptive? Really don't want to make the situation worse, but am worried that the same will happen again if I just leave things as they are.
Many thanks!

You may want to try a heavy string or rope to hold it in place until the box is vacated. I would think pounding would stress the birds inside, or those outside watching. For the record, I am no expert and generally have no idea what I'm talking about most of the time ;)

I doubt that quickly tapping in a couple of small nails would cause too much disturbance, so long as you aren't banging against the box itself. You'd be finished within a minute or so.

Thanks everyone. We quickly tapped a couple of nails in this morning and I have been watching the nest box all day. The adult(s) have been in and out all day, so it seems we haven't scared them off. Fingers crossed for a happy outcome!

.... indeed Liz. Very well done rescuing the situation.

I just had one little concern, could it have been a Grey Squirrel that caused the upset?

Welcome to Birdforum, BTW, from all the Staff and Moderators.

I think it's very unlikely that a grey squirrel was the culprit. We have lived here for 18 years and have never seen one! Even in the extensive NT woodland near by we rarely see them. The field next to our home had just been cut and they are spreading manure. As a result there has been a sudden influx of crows and rooks. We also have plenty of magpies. I think this is where the blame lies!
Still regular activity, but not sure if it's one or two adults coming and going. Still hopeful.....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back