• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest boxes on sticks - in the UK (1 Viewer)

Isurus

I am in the process of developing an orchard. At the moment, it is full of trees of varying sizes but mostly quite small.

At the moment I don't have anything big enough to nail or otherwise attach a nest box too. In time, as the trees grow, I'm not particularly inclined to hammer nails or otherwise attach nestboxes to them as I don't want to damage the trees or risk creating sores/other potential harbours for infection/pests in or around the bark.

I do however have an abundance of good habitat which is only going to improve with time and a desire to increase insectivorous birds in the orchard.

My question is whether anyone in the UK has had any success in sticking nest boxes in a relatively open location on poles. I know in the US its standard procedure for bluebirds and I'm thinking a series of boxes on poles in a similar fashion to that close to but not in the trees would be a good solution (something like this: http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-perfect-bluebird-intervention.html) but I've never seen nor successfully googled anything similar in the UK and I'm wondering if its because classic british nest box birds won't use it or its simply because no-one bothers because they always have a tree or wall to hand to attach to...

I don't know anything about UK birds, but know that the size hole has a lot to do with what birds (or others) will try to use the nest. Also, I think bluebirds, tree swallows and house sparrows who tend to live in nestboxes in the US basically like open areas, so the edges of an orchard would be very suitable to birds like them. Do you have particular species in mind that might be attracted to a nestbox?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back