• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (2 Viewers)

Yeah.... I think we'll all be grateful to see an end it to. Though I fear it won't happen for some time sadly.

Oh you lucky b*!!!

I've only ever heard one.... about 5 years ago over on the west coast!!

Apologies for the late post but there was a Great white Egret and Little Egret on the Ythan yesterday.No sign of the recent Spoonbill,however.

ps; My look In past the Ythan,was work related between Aberdeen and Peterhead

Was on the river Dee near Banchory, dreadful rainy weather, but good numbers of Sand Martins, Common Sandpipers and a family of Dippers with two young.

A Hoopoe has turned up at Pittodrie Stadium, home of Aberdeen FC. It has been rooting around for at least three days on the verges of the players' car park, which is private land, and so far the assembled throngs have kept their distance so the bird is relatively undisturbed, although distant views are quite possible.

Well worth a look if you are in the area...

Attachments

• DSC_3234.jpg
    DSC_3234.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_3294.jpg
    DSC_3294.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC_3361.jpg
    DSC_3361.jpg
    980 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_3374.jpg
    DSC_3374.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 21
Hoopoes do seem to like car parks - that was where I saw my first one LOL

That's super pictures you've taken Mark.

That really must have been wonderful to watch Burnie.

Well done getting some images too lad.

Ravens
Ravens

We were able to watch these birds for nearly an hour, watched the Eagles being mobbed by buzzard and ravens, which even at distance aided with the id, must admit now you say it the head does look prominent on the one chasing the grouse, could be a White Tail as you suggest. The two higher up were Goldens, we did get closer views and were able to both see the head colours, but also could hear them.

Last edited:
Hey guys. First post here. Been doin' this birding thing for about a year now probably, and I often post my findings on Birdtrack, so if you're a regular there you'll probably see my name pop up around Peterhead now and again.
No big findings yet, however, I thought I'd come here and post my latest sighting seeing as this bird doesn't seem too common!

Found me some Water Rail! Basically on my door step!

Walking in Meethill Park, Peterhead yesterday morning I seen two birds in the swampy reed beds pottering about, I thought they were just brown female Blackbirds from a distance until they run and darted into the reeds and I seen their upright white tufted tails. I instantly thought that the way their body moved when they run seemed weird and not like anything else I'd seen so I hung about and tried to see them again, but couldn't see them and gave up. Checked out my bird books for white tufted tail and basically narrowed it down to Water Rail and was pretty convinced but not enough to post it on Birdtrack.
So I went back later with a camera trap and left it over night. Expecting nothing exciting at all, I collected it this evening and was chuffed to see that it actually was Water Rail! I'd actually caught it! haha Couldn't believe it. There were definitely two of them the day before.

It's not the most exciting video, but it's a first for me, and going by Birdtrack it's not common. I don't actually know any birder's in real life and this is the first forum I have joined, so I have no idea what to make of this finding.
Are they difficult to find in general?
Is there another thread I should post this in?
I'd be grateful for any tips guys!
Cheers.

Oh, and I think I'm gonna get some water repellent on the lens for next time!

Welcome to BirdForum Andy. Nice video and a good sighting! Water Rail is found in a few places in Aberdeenshire, but it's quite localised and most reports come from just a few sites. We've been seeing them quite a bit round where I live in Aberdeen recently and they're always great to see.

Nice one Andy. And welcome to BirdForum from all the staff and moderators. There’s a thread called Birds Fae Torry and I believe Andy and Ian are lucky enough to have regular sightings of Water Rails there.

Rich

.... and you both beat me to it Rich! LOL

Hi Andy and a warm welcome from me too.

Water Rails certainly aren't easy to see! I've never heard that call from one, so thanks for the video. The usual call that people recognise is the squeal, like a pig!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Cheers guys!
It was definitely worth getting my feet soaked for it! haha
What's been amazing me about doing this is that I'm in that park everyday with the dog, sometimes multiple times a day, always looking and listening for birds, and you think you've found them all and seen all that that park's gonna give, but then you're surprised by a weird call, or a funny shaped bird and you find out it's something new! It's great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back